Forum Discussion

william_diaz
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

TestExecute 9.2 seems to be Running out of memory and crashes.

Hello,

We are testing an Application running on Windows XP Pro SP3 Core2 6400 2.13Ghz 2GB ram

machines.

I have been monitoring the memory usage of TestExecute over time and it steadily climbs to 1.3GB and then TE stops working. Last run of a particular test item lasted 10 hours before it crashed.

"TextExecute has encountered a problem in module tcCoreEx.dll and needs to close...."

At the time I'm running a single Test item which takes 20hours or so to complete.

The same scripts running on the same machine with Windows 7 and 4GB of ram does not crash. I have not monitored the memory on W7 yet, but maybe the extra RAM allows enough time for the script to complete.

Any ideas?

6 Replies

Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    I have this same problem when I run several lengthy scripts together (about 8 hours of test time). It seems Test Complete hits the 2 gig 32-bit cap and force closes. I've tried using CollectGarbage(); in several places, but still run into this. My only work around thus far has been to split up my scripts and run only 2 or 3 at a time. Mainly seems to fail while pushing out large arrays, and it "seems" as though the garbage collection isn't happening fast enough despite by usage of the CollectGarbage() function. This only started when I switched from using VBScript to JScript. Aside from magically coming up with a 64 bit version of test complete i'd be interested if anyone has a solution to this.
    william_diaz
    Occasional Contributor
    I forgot to mention that i'm running JScript as well. We tried the collectgarbage calls with no help. Others in my group that run smaller Test items are able to run for 2 days or so. Theres seems to be a correlation between Each stop and start releasing memory since they run docens of smaller tests items for longer time.

I tried upgrading to TE 9.3 and I'm giving that a try. I will also try to split my Test Item into smaller chunks to see if that helps.

Thanks
    Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    It actually fails in both Test Execute and Test Complete for me in version 9 & 10, but let me know if you have better luck. I still suspect JScript garbage collection, but I believe that would mean the TC/TE versions would be irrelevant. When we're through our next testing cycle in a couple days I am going to come back to this and troubleshoot further. Some things that may help me troubleshoot if you don't mind answering:

Do you have event handlers that loop back to any other functions/procedures?

Do you have multiple units utiliziing the USEUNIT feature?

Do you have global variables/objects/arrays that may contain large amounts of data?

Do you utilize UserForms that call lengthy functions/procedures?
    Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3
    We are running TC 9.31 and see similar symptoms when using Keyword Tests.  The longest test we have is 20 mins but working with any of our tests all day can result in

1) TC slowing down or failing to execute commands (e.g.  set_Text or setText will not put the whole string in a text box, only part of the given string).

2) Object Spy failing to recognize objects on the screen that have been in the Name Mapping for weeks and that were recognized in many previous test runs.  

3) TC failing to recognize our application when nothing has changed in the app in weeks and it was recognized in many previous test runs.

By about 3 in the afternoon we usually have to restart our application and TC both to get anything to work properly.
    socc3rpr0
    Occasional Contributor
    Has anyone found a solution to this? I've had this happen multiple times now that I have scripts run in a for loop that take up to 3 hours to complete. I have 7 global variables...lots of callback UNITNIT, & callback to other function that rips through some SVs each time it loops. Any ideas on how I can diagnose or dump the files. I am thinking it has to do with the memory leak. 
    william_diaz
    Occasional Contributor
    Our tested software moved to Windows 7 Same hardware except 4 GB of ram, we are getting much better results now. We never found the root cause when running under XP