Forum Discussion

sinis
Contributor
10 months ago

Running TCUnit Tests

I am trying to do unit testing for a C# application in TestCompleet. I wrote the code in Visual Studio 2017. Do I need visual studio to be installed in the system in which I have testcomplete. Or can I build the code each time in a seperate system and take the build to the system which contain TestComplete. When I tried, it showed like "Cannot open specified dll".

3 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Visual Studio is a development tool, you don't need this installed to test your application via TestComplete (unless you are debugging). However, if your application requires certain DLL's, then these DLL's must exist - you can build your application with either static or dynamic libraries, or install the appropriate Microsoft Visual Redistributable packages or .NET Framework

sinis
      Contributor

Okay understood. For example, I have an application in C# and then I have written methos for the application in CPP and used the reference dll inside the main C# application. In this case, I need to install the packages in order to make it work? right? Or else it will result in error if visual studio is not installed.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Applications are usually developed using dynamic DLL's. If there's an update, such as a Windows Update, it will update DLL's which your application may use. Therefore, you don't have to rebuild your application using the latest DLL's. 

If you get an error message appearing when you open the application, it will give a rough indication as to what package is required to be installed - you will have to do an internet search for this.