Forum Discussion

torus
Contributor
6 months ago
Solved

Running api tests in parallel

I am used to creating api tests using nunit and specflow. With this setup, the tests can run in parallel. Tests can be grouped so that, although you are running your tests in parallel, the tests in the group still run in series. For example, lets say one of your tests is to create an object ... well after you create the object, you might want to delete the object (clean up) ... so you would want to run these test in series because there is a dependency. 

• Hey torus,

ReadyAPI has native sequencing functionality that enable you to execute either serially or in parallel.

The serial/parallel settings are set on both testsuite level (if you select the 'Functional tests' object within your project, you can then set the testsuites to run in series or in parallel) and testcase level (if you select a testsuite, you can then set either the series or parallel buttons).

So using a combination of these allows you to handle most straightforward stuff (by leaving all the testsuites to run in series, but then select specific testsuites to execute their testcases in parallel).

You can extend this using groovyscript/Java in various different options - setup scripts (testsuite and testcase level), event handlers, etc., but for the most part just using the native functionality has allowed me to do what i needed without any scripting being required.

Cheers,

Rich

The sequence of the testsuites within the projec

1 Reply

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey torus,

ReadyAPI has native sequencing functionality that enable you to execute either serially or in parallel.

The serial/parallel settings are set on both testsuite level (if you select the 'Functional tests' object within your project, you can then set the testsuites to run in series or in parallel) and testcase level (if you select a testsuite, you can then set either the series or parallel buttons).

So using a combination of these allows you to handle most straightforward stuff (by leaving all the testsuites to run in series, but then select specific testsuites to execute their testcases in parallel).

You can extend this using groovyscript/Java in various different options - setup scripts (testsuite and testcase level), event handlers, etc., but for the most part just using the native functionality has allowed me to do what i needed without any scripting being required.

Cheers,

Rich

The sequence of the testsuites within the projec