Forum Discussion

Fennek
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Structure of Name Mapping

Hi guys,

I`m starting my first TC-Project at the moment and I would like to ask you the following question about the name mapping feature:

I will test webpages. The question is, do I actually need the whole structure of the hierarchy of the webpages in my name mapping tree?

In my beginner-eyes I would say I just need the hierarchy to uniquely identify my GUI-Objects on a webpage (for example, when there are two identic objects I can`t differentiate with their attributes then I can use the hierarchy of the webpage).

But I would say I can always differantiate my GUI-Objects of a certain webpage with their attributes. So would it be fine to just hang all my GUI-Objects directly under the webpage root knode of my name mapping tree and check the "Extended Find" checkbox?

I think that would save us a lot of time in maintaining the name mapping and probably our not that technical users a lot of nerves...

What do you think about that?

2 Replies

• Hi,

Using Extended Find is OK in your case. Keeping the entire object hierarchy in Name Mapping is not required if you're planning to use only specific objects.
    Fennek
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Jared,

thanks for affirmation. So far I have used the "Extended Find" option mainly and I have no problems with it...

Thanks

Andreas