Forum Discussion

BBM0824
New Contributor
7 years ago

How to turn of override to use MAPPED NAME for Checkpoints?

For some reason, using the MAPPED NAME does not work for the system I am testing. Instead, I have been very successful at using the FULL NAME from Object Spy to setup object and property checkpoints. However, in the switch to version 12, even if I specify the FULL NAME on the object field and select the various properties to validate, the system overrides the object to use the MAPPED name which does not identify the object properly and ends up identifying against another object in the system.

How I can I turn this override off? I am having to edit the test steps in Value to remove the mapped name reference and past the Full name reference.

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

So, what's wrong with your name mapping that it's not finding the objects properly?  Seems that the problem is not necessarily with the checkpoint but with your name mapping.

I don't know of any way to turn off that override.  Doing so, however, seems like it would be masking the problem.   You have an item mapped, so it's trying to use the mapped information.  If the mapping isn't working, then the better solution would be to fix what's wrong with the mapping.

BBM0824
      New Contributor

When I first started using TestComplete (version 11) last year, I came across an issue where my tests would fail. I would manually create a Property/Object Checkpoint using the 'Drag target to object' and then I would select all the properties I wanted to include in the validation. When running the test would fail, I Looked at the error messages and noticed that stored values were right but the actual values were completely off. When I went back to the test editor, I opened the checkpoint and selected the highlight button, I found that TestComplete was pointing to the wrong object.

Take a look at the information Object Spy provides when looking at three different button on the same web page :

FULL NAME ===

BUTTON 1 : Sys.Browser("iexplore").Page("https://xxx").Table(0).Cell(1, 1).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Panel(0)

BUTTON 2 : Sys.Browser("iexplore").Page("https://xxx").Table(0).Cell(1, 1).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 1).Panel(0)

BUTTON 3 : Sys.Browser("iexplore").Page("https://xxx").Table(0).Cell(1, 1).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 0).Table(0).Cell(0, 2).Panel(0)

MAPPED NAME === 

BUTTON 1 : Aliases.browser.pagexxx.tableGemsContainerPanelPieHover.cell3.tablexxxRightPanel.cell.tableNeditorBasicPieFirstChildPi.cell2.tableToolbarBorder.panelAutoPopulateValues

BUTTON 2 : Aliases.browser.pageGems.tablexxxContainerPanelPieHover.cell3.tablexxxRightPanel.cell.tableNeditorBasicPieFirstChildPi.cell2.tableToolbarBorder.panelAutoPopulateValues

BUTTON 3 : Aliases.browser.pagexxx.tablexxxContainerPanelPieHover.cell3.tablexxxRightPanel.cell.tableNeditorBasicPieFirstChildPi.cell2.tableToolbarBorder.panelAutoPopulateValues

As you can see, there is a difference between the FULL NAME of the three buttons ( highlighted in RED ) but for the MAPPED NAME there is not different and when the test is run, all three buttons end up pointing to that third button.

Because of this, and lack of expertise, I found that using the FULL NAME would resolve this. But now with version 12, when I finish the checkpoint it reverts to using the MAPPED NAME.

You mentioned that this name mapping issue can be fixed?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

So... they all have the same Alias... that means that whoever did the mapping didn't do it correctly.  In the Mapping portion of the panel, that full name should be represented somehow in order to give each item a distinctive identification.  somewhere in the mapping, those cells that are different should be there... if they are not, that's where your problem is.  Correct that mapping, and you're golden.