Forum Discussion

dougt
New Contributor
2 years ago

Changed TestedApp and now TestComplete cannot find objects

I uninstalled the TestedApp (WPF application) while TestComplete was open. The RunTestedApp operation in the Keyword Test Editor was then associated with a question mark icon (since the app to run was no longer available?). When I reinstalled the app (may not have been the same build but certainly still the same WPF app) TestComplete cannot find any of the objects it used to find when running tests. If I have the app open and right click > Show in Object Browser TestComplete complains that the objects don't exist. Also when I browse the application in the Object Browser it looks as if maybe TestComplete thinks this is a Windows Forms application?  Did I do something wrong?

5 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

If you use Object Spy and take a look at some of your high level objects in the new build, do the objects match their old build equivalents in Name Mapping?  I've had it happen before where the devs decided to rename something because it was handy for them and then that messed everything up for me.

dougt
      New Contributor

Marsha_R,

At the moment I can't even expand the second lever of the Object Browser. It appears to be at the "Window Level." Where it once said used "Form" for the top level object, it is now "Window." Furthermore, the Object Spy can't be used on anything other than the window itself. Fortunately I am both dev and test. I don't believe any names would have changed so significantly to cause this issue. 

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

What if you record a short test on the new one and see what objects that shows?

Just curious, did you try deleting the old Run Tested App that had the ? and creating a new one?