Forum Discussion

rohita
Occasional Contributor
9 months ago
Solved

Writing script where part of code runs for desktop automation and part on web automation.

I have scenario where I want to run part of script which runs on desktop and another part of same script runs the web automation.

Desktop should run on one remote machine and web runs on another remote machine. How can I achieve this using TestComplete?

Note: Both the desktop and web have to be part of the same script.

Thanking in advance!

• Hi,

Is it really required for desktop and web parts to be running on separate systems? Can't they run on the same box?

If they can, then just create a regular script that interacts with desktop and web as needed. (Make a simple recording to get an overall idea of how script may look and work.)

If they really must be executed on separate systems (which I actually hardly can believe at), then, depending on your scenario, you may either create a script for desktop, execute it on one machine and execute another script for the web on this other machine.

If your scenario assumes constant switching between desktop and web, you may consider Network mode (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/deprecated/distributed/basic-concepts.html) even despite the fact that it is deprecated. (Note: additional licenses for TC will be required in this case.)

• As frequently happens, AlexKaras and I are thinking alike! This is why I asked for a scenario, because you may be trying to test something that could never happen with real users.

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Is it really required for desktop and web parts to be running on separate systems? Can't they run on the same box?

If they can, then just create a regular script that interacts with desktop and web as needed. (Make a simple recording to get an overall idea of how script may look and work.)

If they really must be executed on separate systems (which I actually hardly can believe at), then, depending on your scenario, you may either create a script for desktop, execute it on one machine and execute another script for the web on this other machine.

If your scenario assumes constant switching between desktop and web, you may consider Network mode (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/deprecated/distributed/basic-concepts.html) even despite the fact that it is deprecated. (Note: additional licenses for TC will be required in this case.)

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

As frequently happens, AlexKaras and I are thinking alike! This is why I asked for a scenario, because you may be trying to test something that could never happen with real users.

rohita
      Occasional Contributor

Sorry for not being clear in the first place. The desktop and the web have to be part of the same script. 

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Okay. What's the scenario that is being tested here? More detail can help us find you a solution.