Forum Discussion

howie_
Contributor
12 years ago

WinXP backwards compatibility

I develop on a Win7 machine, but my target environments are both Win7 and XP. My tests run fine in Win7, but when I try to run them in XP I receive the "object does not exist" error. I know this is because the namemapping doesn't align between the environments, and that I should be able to fix it using conditional namemapping, but I have no idea what those conditions are.  

Is there any way that I can discover the namemapping of an object in XP without actually having TestComplete on the XP environment? My license is node locked, and my XP machine is virtual to boot, so I'd really prefer not to have to migrate my license from one environment to the other and back. oh, I should probably mention that I'm running TestComplete9 on my dev machine, and TestExecute9 on my client machines. 

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks. 

2 Replies

• Add call to get snapshot of the object tree of tested application before the problematic action in your test - Creating Snapshots - run the test on XP and then analyze it. Maybe your object has different values for properties used in namemapping, or maybe the object really does not exist.
  • It appears that TestExecute can't find the process at all. I used the code found on the Process List Example page to view the available processes, but my application isn't listed. I can see it in the Task Manager, but I couldn't find it using the loop in the example, nor using Sys.Find() and Sys.FindChild(). Is there a way to ensure that my application is visible to Sys.Process()?