Forum Discussion

sastowe
Super Contributor
12 years ago

Visual Source Safe integration

It seems to me that the only way to make a linkage between Test Complete and Visual Source Safe is to add the project within Test Complete. But in a team environment, in which people are sharing source, how do all the team members get bund to the same project in VSS. They cannot all add the project into VSS. Thanks

S

8 Replies

• Hi Stephanie,

You can do the following:

1. Open Visual Source Safe client on the needed machine.

2. Retrieve the latest version of your project suite to a local folder.

3. Open the project from the local folder in TestComplete. The tool should identify your SCC bindings when you open the project suite.

sastowe
    Super Contributor
    I don't understand this sentence:

"The tool should identify your SCC bindings when you open the project suite."

I have been using VSS completely not integrated with TC. But how do I get TC to allow me to check files in and out in a team environment?

S

• Hi Stephanie,

What happens in TestComplete when you try to open the project suite retrieved from SCC via the VSS native client? I've just checked it one more time and the suite is treated as SCC-bound for me.

sastowe
    Super Contributor
    Absolutely nothing happens. I use the VSS client to get, check out and check in my projects. I open a project in TC, and TC knows nothing about it. If I right click on a prject and clpick source control, the only options are Add Project Suite, Add Project and Refresh Status. The rest are disabled. The help file indicates that adding the project creates the binding but no other mechanism for binding. Obviously both my teammates and I cannot all add the project to VSS. We havde differetn credentials as well...

• Hi Stephanie,

Looks like we'll need to investigate this problem, so I srongly recommend that you contact us via our Contact Support form (http://smartbear.com/support/message/?prod=TestComplete) - this will give higher priority to your support case.

In the Contact Support form, please answer the following questions:

1. How the project was originally added to VSS - via TestComplete or via the native client?

2. Are your VSS credentials (login/password) valid?

3. Do you seen any dialog windows when you open the project in TestComplete? If you do, send us an image showing the dialog.

sastowe
    Super Contributor
    I already have a bunch of support tickets open that I don't have time to work on as it is. Can you tell me the mechanism by which TC comes to understand it should be bound for a project that was not added to source safe from within TC. What I mean by that is I have VSS installed and even maybe open on the machine. I open TC. You seem to be saying TC should know to be bound to that VSS project. How would it know? the vss files on the file system? Something stored in the project file(s)?

I am not prompted for anything upon loading TC. Thanks

S

• Hi Stephanie,

The information is stored in the project suite and project files. So, it's possible that you've initially added the project to VSS not from TestComplete. Try the following approach:

1. Create a new project suite.

2. Add it to VSS from TestComplete.

3. Use native VSS client to retrieve the project suite to a local folder.

4. Open the project suite from the local folder.

Does this help?