Forum Discussion

hlalumiere
Regular Contributor
12 years ago

Unnecessary file repeat in logs.

Hello,

I am using TestComplete 8.2 here at work on a bank of 55 test machines, that continuously run ~4500 UI tests (|450 tests with an average of 10 child items each). While the software in general works very well, there are two severe issues with the logging mechanism. The second issue I can live with, and is most likely cause by the way we name each test item. However:

1- Unnecessarily repeated script files and images in each test log. In each test log, for each individual run, over 450KB of images, Javascripts and Flash widgets are copied in each target folder. This approach is a ridiculous waste of space. It makes deleting old logs extremely long and is quite a strange way of doing things. Instead all the shared content should be placed in one single shared folder and linked to from each output HTML file. That is why HTML was created in the first place. To give you an idea of the size of the problem, a single build's worth of logs is over 10GB in disk size. That is about 250MB wasted per test machine, per day. Realistically, each test log should be no more than about 10KB of XML, so a daily log for all 55 test machines should hover around 1.8GB if each test runs 8 times.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hugo Lalumiere

Dynacom Technologies Inc.

3 Replies

AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hugo,

Exported results are capable of being "viewed offline". You can send them via e-mail and open in a web browser on any computer, even on the machine where TestComplete isn't installed.

So, each exported result set should contain all the data needed for viewing. It must be completely independent from another result set. Common files are not shared, because, if you copied, for example, the exported results to a computer that has no such files, you would not be able to view the results.

As far as I can see, when I export results of a large run (for instance, results of a project that contains multiple test items), basic helper files are shared. However, you are right that the file structure is not ideal - some files are duplicated. This happens due to certain specifics of TestComplete's test log. I have registered your request in our database. We need to investigate the situation and try to improve things in one of future releases.

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    First, thank you for taking the time to investigate this issue.

The problem, to me at least seems very easy to resolve. Those files that are copied should simply be all together in the logging path in .\..\Common for example. The only thing required to copy logs to be viewable offline is to copy this folder as well, in the same relative path.

That would also have the advantage of allowing around 10x more logs for the same removable media size.
    AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    >> The only thing required to copy logs to be viewable offline is to copy this folder as well, in the same relative path.

There will be users who will forget about shared files and will have problems. Also, copying an extra folder is not obvious for new users, who don't know much about TestComplete functioning. These are possible issues that our guys wanted to avoid.

Anyhow, we agree that things can be improved. We will try to do this in one of future releases.