Forum Discussion

OAn
Contributor
10 months ago

TestComplete and 2x TestExecute on a Virtual Machine

Hi,

I would like to install two TE instances and one TC instance on the same VM with Windows10 as OS, all three apps with SmartBear's floating licenses.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to edit/run the scripts with TC and in the same time run other scripts on both TE instances?

The second concern is about running TC and TE on the same VM, with two different user in the same time. Anyone is aware about an incompatibility of TC and TE running on the same VM?

Thank you!

9 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

If I understand correctly, a customer is requesting you to install TC and TE on the same VM, using different user accounts? Why?

OAn
      Contributor

Yes it is correct. On the same virtual machine, 2 TE and one TC installed under different users. I haven't asked why, this is what the customer asked for. As I said, is probably related to minimizing the resources.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

The setup can not work, and will not work. In Windows 10, you can switch between user accounts, but you can not have simultaneous users.

OAn
      Contributor

Apparently it can work, at least using RDP wrapper, and also some other options seems to be available.

I will let you know what I'll succeed with this setup.

• The easiest thing to do is try it. I know you can run TC and TE on the same computer. You wouldn't be installing it twice on the computer, just attempting to launch it twice with different licenses.

Just curious - why try to do all of this at the same time on one machine?  Is it a load test?

OAn
      Contributor

Thank you, Marsha,

In did, I should give more input on this, and an important one is that each TE or TC instance will be installed on different user account.

No, it is not a load test, but it is a customer request; I guess it is about minimizing the resources. If I would be able to create that specific environment I will definitely try.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

If you attempt to launch another instance of TE, you'll' get a message to indicate that another instance is already running (same applies to TC). I've never tried, but I'm sure it's possible to run TC and TE at the same time. However, I see no reasons to do this. Also, if you're running TE and modifying the scripts at the same time, you'll be fighting to gain control of the mouse cursor, if doing UI testing. And, not sure why you would want two different users at the same time.

If you can explain exactly what you are trying to do, then may be we can suggest alternative solutions.

OAn
      Contributor

Thank you, RRaghvani,

As I mentioned to Marsha, it is my fault that I didn't mentioned about the fact that each instance of TE or TC will be installed on different user on the same virtual machine.

The advantage of this setup, I guess, is that customer will pay the license for a single OS, and allocate to this a single machine.

The reason of several users connected at the same time, is to give each user the option to run its own suite tests.

TC instance will be useful, if a user need to modify its scripts, not necessarily the scripts running with TE.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

There may be software which allows simultaneous users on Windows 10, but there may be some limitations.. The infrastructure to host multiple VM's is relatively cheap.