Forum Discussion

TonyM
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

TestComplete 10.20.953.7 and Firefox 34.0.5

Hi,

I'm trying to run my scripts on Firefox 34.0.5 but it's not even opening the browser.  I'm using TestComplete 10.20.953.7 .  Are there any patches/extensions i need to install?

Please help.  Thanks in advance.

MR

• Hi,

Refer to this page - It contains the Firefox patches for different TestComplete versions. I guess, you will need to update your TC version. TestComplete 10.5, which is installed on my computer, recognizes objects inside Firefox 34 successfully.

15 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    This is an endless 'holy war'...

I really hope that all those who create web applications test them at the same time when the new beta of the next browser is released and immediately fix all problems before the first user of their applications report this problem to them. (Corrections in the used libraries are even not considered as they are assumed by default...)

The only thing that wonders me, is why all other manufacturers do not use this creative approach of automated and unattended change of the entity in use at the first chance?

Wouldn't all, say, drivers be happy if any time when they stop at the gas station, the manufacturers grab his/her car and install new, improved and more secure and functional (from their point of view) parts that they produced since his/her last stop? More rapid braking, changed behavior of gear-box, new sequence of button presses to unlock the immobilizer or turn on the lights... And, I believe that you don't expect that been agile, all manufacturers will bother themselves to notify all other ones that they must provide compatibility of their parts with the ones that the given manufacturer has improved, do you?
    Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    Alexei,

It's not just about providing forward compatibility.

It doesn't happen often that a new browser version breaks anything on our websites or webapps. It's usually older browser versions that we have problems with.

I expect to be able to run my automated tests whenever I want to without having to disable browser updates or jump through any hoops.

We also can't tell our customers not to update to the latest Chrome or Firefox version.

If tomorrow Chrome or Firefox decide that a certain HTML/JAVA feature is obsolete because of security risks, and we have code that utilizes that feature, we need our automated tests to ensure basic functionality of our websites/webapps.

That's the entire purpose of our web based automated testing.

There is a reason that Chrome and Firefox release beta versions.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Ryan,

As I said, this is a holy war and while I try to understand your reasons, personally I don't understand those guys that are looking for the newest and latest (not necessarily in the software world, but in the real world as well) and expect that all others must leave everything and provide immediate compatibility with their new toy.

As for the software... I am not paying much attention to this and not going to start another discussion, but I don't remember severe backward compatibility problems with Windows and its applications. When the new security enhancement is released, you may use it in the new versions of your software, but it did not break the existing old functionality.

As for the rate of Chrome/FireFox updates... Sometimes it makes me think that the guys there don't involve security and other experts in the process. Otherwise, I can hardly explain to myself what new functionality required 30+ versions of their software which is often incompatible with one another.

The same with the customers management. Again, nobody is wondered that car manufactures do not allow unauthorized modifications to their cars. And I think that if I come to some car dealer and will require to install some equipment, even from the same manufacturer, but that was not fully tested, they will do this. I think that they will not do this even if I say that otherwise I will buy a car of another brand. Likewise, personally I, cannot understand those software users who install browsers that are not supported by the given software and blame software vendor. My opinion is that these users must blame browser's vendor for providing them with the version that is not backward compatible and themselves because they allow browser's vendor to make unattended changes to their systems without clear previous warning. All at all, if they allow such things, why they don't allow some software robot to sign their bank documents according to the sole decision of this robot?

P.S. I think that I will stop here, because my opinion will not change and I don't want this thread to turn into a mess. And yes, I also expect that SmartBear support new browsers when they are released, but not immediately but within a reasonable time period that is required to do their part of work right.
    Ryan_Moran
    Valued Contributor
    I just envision your customer service, "Sorry sir, I'm on Windows 95 and I do not receive that error. You should downgrade your system.".

Agree to disagree ;).