Forum Discussion

kcook
Contributor
13 years ago

Object finder not finding child objects in firefox

Hello everyone.  First off, I apologize but the search function for this forum seems to be lacking (I only have the option to search everywhere on the SmartBear site so my results are just too overwhelming).  

I'm using a trial version of TC 8.7 and trying to map a firefox browser window and all that's mapping is the main window (MozillaWindowClass).  I have web, firefox and java extensions installed (web development is in java).

I sure I'm missing something in my setup.  I've been reading through help but am not having luck finding how to do this.  I also noticed that when I at least mapped the main windows that now they no longer recognize the windows.... what gives?

8 Replies

• I'm going to add this to a support ticket and will post my findings.
    HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Kary,

Please install the Firefox 11 patch for TestComplete - this should fix web page identification issues in Firefox.

First off, I apologize but the search function for this forum seems to be lacking (I only have the option to search everywhere on the SmartBear site so my results are just too overwhelming).
    We're aware of the forum search issues and working to resolve them. Please see this thread for details and workarounds:

http://community.smartbear.com/forum/post/?mode=singleThread&thread=c29f3e5a-fb76-4449-a785-70131e65f2cc
  • Thanks so much for this patch!!  I'm seeing/finding more now which is a great start!  The other thing I'm running into is that my object browser is finding all objects but in the mapping area of my project, it doesn't recognize all objects.  For instance:

1. I went ahead and deleted the Mapping Area from my project to start from scratch.

2. In the object browser I click to map a password text box on a Firefox login page.

3. This maps to the Mapping Area but when I go to check that I can highlight it from the Mapping Area, a msg comes back with the "underlying object area doesn't exist".  I also noted that when mapping to the Mapping Area there were a couple mappings that threw a warning that recognizing the object may be difficult: "The specified mapping criteria do not provide unique identification of the object. This may cause recognition problems during the test run. Save the mapping settings?"

It's only recognizing down past 1 level below the page.

Am I missing something?
  • Hmmm... I've been at this for some time now and the NameMapping just isn't "remembering" objects as it should.  The Object Browser is fine but NameMapping isn't working as expected.  It's only recognizing the main window.... not panels or password field within.... frustrating. 
  • Good news- the great SmartBear support helped me out!  Seems that due to my developers assigning objects by the same name, I had to add a unique (existing tag) to the object while I mapped and all works well. Thanks!
  • I am having the same problem.  Not sure how to add tags - as I cant get any objects 'under' the browser window.

I also went through the webinar on cross browser testing and after following the instructions there and editing the browser object (to state process name is IEXPLORE or firefox, or (chrome and index = 1)

After making this change, neither the browser window, nor any child objects can be identified - when right clicking on the browser or child object and choosing highlight I get the message:

"Cannot highlight this object on screen" or "The Underlying object does not exist"

If I try and remap the objects I get a message saying they are already mapped to the object that is failing as above.

I have all the web browser extensions installed running

am on chrome

18.0.1025.162 m

• I am having the same problem.  Not sure how to add tags - as I cant get any objects 'under' the browser window.

I also went through the webinar on cross browser testing and after following the instructions there and editing the browser object (to state process name is IEXPLORE or firefox, or (chrome and index = 1)

After making this change, neither the browser window, nor any child objects can be identified - when right clicking on the browser or child object and choosing highlight I get the message:

"Cannot highlight this object on screen" or "The Underlying object does not exist"

If I try and remap the objects I get a message saying they are already mapped to the object that is failing as above.

I have all the web browser extensions installed running

am on chrome

18.0.1025.162 m

9.0.8112 ie

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Kim,

I see you've been helped with this question in your M0098653 support ticket. For other users who might be interested, here's a quote from the Support Team's reply:

Your mapping scheme for the 'Browser' object does not work for Internet Explorer since the string values in the Conditional Mapping filter are case-sensitive. You need to change the 'IEXPLORE' value to 'iexplore'. We will make these values case-insensitive in the next version of the tool.

If you have any additional questions regarding your Name Mapping scheme or cross-browser testing, please reply to your M0098653 ticket or open a new ticket at http://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete.