Forum Discussion

petra
Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

incorrect naming by making the teststep

Hi!

Yesterday I created a new test. and I have a few problems with the name of the buttons

the original name is

Aliases.FelixHaupt2.GastBeziehungenDlg.bsSkinPanelClient.bsSkinPanel2.bsSkinPanel3.VCLObject("bsSkinButtonClose")

In Teststep it is recorded with ''Label21'' which can't be found, (doesn't exist)

Any idea? 

See photos below

petra
    8 years ago

Since i got the debugging infos, TC found the correct button. 

Thanks to all

12 Replies

petra
    Contributor

By the way, is it possible, that it not works correct, because of "missing debug info".

petra
    Contributor

by the way, i found out, what label 17 is.

Its a label which was on the window behind the window, i worked with.

wondering why this could happen. clicking on a form, and test complete takes something from the hidden form

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor
      That is strange. A mouse click on a component, as you are doing, should send the click to that component directly.

Is it possible that the other window popped up during the test and was, temporarily, overlayed on top of the button you want to click?

Looking at the screenshots, what is aliased as "Gastdlg"? That's what's actually getting the click, not the button you want to.

Try manually editing your keyword test you have recorded and replace the GastDlg object with the button you want clicked and see if that corrects it.

Generally speaking, recording a test is good for getting a general idea of how things are supposed to work. But ultimately, you're going to want to do manual construction of your tests to correct small descrpencies like this.

Hope this helps!
        petra
        Contributor

Hi 

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

Hi Petra,

I test delphi apps, so I want to says some stuff about this :

Having a label named originaly "label23" for example means that the developper didn't done its work completly. And, if you map the object now, and if he (or she) corrects the label naming your script will not work anymore. You will have to remap it further.

I never use debug infos. In delphi, there is compilation directives that allows you to incorporate debug infos in the executable file, but you have to test the executable in customer's background. having debug info will give you another background.

But, you could ask the developper to put all the debug infos in a separate file which needs to stand aside the executable file.

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

said differently, I hardly recommend to deal with the lack of debug info.

there are almost always a way to do so.

Colin_McCrae
      Community Hero

With a lot of the grid and tree controls I have to deal with, they would be impossible to work with without the debug properties and methods.