Forum Discussion

Teranoz
New Contributor
3 months ago
Solved

How to get TextExecute run GUI tests on a virtual server

We use FinalBuilder to create automatically daily builds and have a call to TestExecute as part of that build.
As soon as TestExecute needs to do anything screen related (to start with logging in to the new executable) it fails because there is no physical screen attached to that server.
The only way to get the tests done is to open a terminal connection to the server from a physical workstation and keep the screen open all the time.
This is not the way we intended to do this, the tests should be able to run without anyone opening a terminal session first. However the session on the server is disconnected and not closed in order to process the creation of the builds.

Is there any way to do this?
Otherwise we might have to start looking for other ways of automated Gui testing than TestComplete/TestExecute

• Imagine having a computer with no monitor (or having a monitor and the computer is locked), it's impossible to interact with anything!

You need an interactive user sessions for TestComplete to interact with your tested application GUI.

See SessionCreator.

It's vital that you read and understand the references I've provided.

4 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Imagine having a computer with no monitor (or having a monitor and the computer is locked), it's impossible to interact with anything!

You need an interactive user sessions for TestComplete to interact with your tested application GUI.

See SessionCreator.

It's vital that you read and understand the references I've provided.

Teranoz
      New Contributor

It needs some trying out and testing, but it looks like this is what I was looking for.

Teranoz
    New Contributor

There is no webbrowser, it is mainly a test of a desktop application, an executable written in Delphi.
    So this means we have no other option than to stop using TestComplete/TestExecute for the purpose we had ?