Forum Discussion

fayrehouse
Frequent Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Does anyone know anything of Callbacks / Delegates in Jscript?

I have an an external DLL that provides a method I need to use that takes 2 params - a string, and an object of class"x" (according to the code completion prompt in TC).

In the documentation and sample code (typically C#, nothing JScript) I've seen in various places on line, this parameter is actually a delegate (bool) passed in as a function - which then returns a bool, and NOT an object of class "x".

Given my lack of knowledge of callbacks and delegates in JScript, it's not overly surprising that this, in my TC Jscript is erroring!

I see (again from TC code completion) that class "X" has a method "CreateDelegate" - it actually has 10 overloads of this method... but the first overload takes two params:

CreateDelegate(System.Type type, System.Reflection.MethodInfo method)

Forgive this rambling post - but if anyone can help - I'd desperately appreciate it!

• I don't know specifically about JScript, but VBScript for example is not strongly typed. A lot of .Net types simply do not exists in VBScript. So when I have to interface to a .NET library from VBScript, I often have to write a COM-visible wrapper library in .NET first, and call that wrapper library from my script.

' Some .NET class function that returns a List(Of String), which is incompatible with standard VBScript

Public Function DoSomethingInDotNet() As List(Of String)

' ...

End Function

' Intermediate wrapper class function that returns a type compatible with VBScript (in this case an ArrayList)

Public Function WrapDotNetFunction() As ArrayList

Return New ArrayList(DoSomethingInDotNet())

End Function

' VBScript code where you call the wrapper, which then calls the actual .NET method.

Sub Main()

Set Result = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")

Set Result = objWrapper.WrapDotNetFunction

End Sub

2 Replies

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    I don't know specifically about JScript, but VBScript for example is not strongly typed. A lot of .Net types simply do not exists in VBScript. So when I have to interface to a .NET library from VBScript, I often have to write a COM-visible wrapper library in .NET first, and call that wrapper library from my script.

' Some .NET class function that returns a List(Of String), which is incompatible with standard VBScript

Public Function DoSomethingInDotNet() As List(Of String)

' ...

End Function

' Intermediate wrapper class function that returns a type compatible with VBScript (in this case an ArrayList)

Public Function WrapDotNetFunction() As ArrayList

Return New ArrayList(DoSomethingInDotNet())

End Function

' VBScript code where you call the wrapper, which then calls the actual .NET method.

Sub Main()

Set Result = CreateObject("System.Collections.ArrayList")

Set Result = objWrapper.WrapDotNetFunction

End Sub
    fayrehouse
    Frequent Contributor
    Thanks Hugo,

I think I know what I need to do - I'll give it a go - if I get stuck, I'll drop another line here! 

Cheers

Steve