Forum Discussion

panka152
Contributor
13 years ago

Can we update the IE index dynamically in the script.

Hi,

I always need to check the index of IE 8 browser and need to modify that index in the script manually [set p = Sys.Process("iexplore", 2)].....

if there is any way to do it dynamically then please let me know.

[In earlier discussion at forum there was a suggestion to change the registry value to tackle this problem...but I am not in favor of that]

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Even if you change it dynamically, what will you change it to?  The thing about the way IE works is that it will spawn new processes based upon an algorithm based upon system resources which may not be static from one run to another.  So, when you run your tests, it may work to update the process from 1 to 2.  But the next time you run it, it may need to be 1 again, or 3, or something else.  It's not necessarily easily predictable (although, I'm sure if you spent time, you might be able to do it).

In the meantime, the registry edit does not change the behavior of IE when it comes to executing applications, serving up web pages, etc.  All that feature does is allow for IE to recover from a crash if one page crashes so that the user does not lose ALL pages they are currently working with.  I still highly recommend making the registry edit.

• Hi Robert,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.....I have got some success in getting the index dynamically....if the function does not works properly then I need to edit the registry.