Forum Discussion

ckim
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

"The object does not exist"

Hi,

I am new to TestComplete and I was confused about the name mapping functionality of it. I recently recorded a test using the "Record Script" feature and when I tried to run the script I received the "object does not exist" error. I decided to look at the Name Mapping editor because the error in the log told me which object was not found. When I try to edit the object a popup window appears and says 'Unable to find the object that matches the "tabbedPane" item'. But when I do this with other objects in the same level that share the same parent as the "tabbedPane" object, it works fine. I don't understand why it wasn't able to map that object.

I'm a novice with this so please let me know if I used any of the terminology incorrectly or if I need to be more specific with my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

The automatic Name Mapping works in the following way: when recording, TestComplete maps an object by several criteria that are identified by the type of the mapped object. Sometimes, the selected properties may not be unique, they can change from run to run of your tested app. In this case, you need to choose other, more reliable properties for the mapped object and remap it. The detailed troubleshooting steps are specified in the "Handling the 'Unable to Find the Object' Error" article in the "Diagnosing the Problem" section.

1 Reply

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Chris,

The automatic Name Mapping works in the following way: when recording, TestComplete maps an object by several criteria that are identified by the type of the mapped object. Sometimes, the selected properties may not be unique, they can change from run to run of your tested app. In this case, you need to choose other, more reliable properties for the mapped object and remap it. The detailed troubleshooting steps are specified in the "Handling the 'Unable to Find the Object' Error" article in the "Diagnosing the Problem" section.