Forum Discussion

Oferv
Super Contributor
13 years ago

Unique object identification

Hi,

i'm a little confused with that is related to the NameMapping procedure.

1. if i'm trying to add new object and i'm getting a message that this object won't be uniquely identify.what should i do?i tried to add to the selected few other properties but still i'm getting this message.so, how can i make sure the object will be uniquely identify.

2. i still don't know what is the right way to work with the NameMapping and the Aliases.sometimes i have an object which i want to click on.the hierarchy in the NameMapping is so deep that in order to see its end i need to scroll the editor right.so i understand that i can use Aliases in order to make those long hierarchy shot but,when i'm trying to do so i'm getting into difficulties.is there any place i can see a movie or a good guidnese of how to use Aliases?  

thanks

1 Reply

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Usually, the message about unique identification means that you probably still haven't found the right mix of properties to uniquely identify.  It may be that you might have to look at things like caption or something else, but engage the use of wildcards.  some other ways are to use "Required Children" as a means of saying "If it matches this set of properties and has these child objects in it's hierarchy".  In other words, you'll have to do a bit more work to get this figured out.  Be cautious, also, at using wildcards TOO much.  If you use wildcards TOO much you can create situations that the objects cannot be uniquely identified.

As for adjusting aliases, it is really just a matter of Click and Drag.  Check out this article.

http://smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/12465/