Forum Discussion

bozhinov
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

TestExecute crash on Windows 7

Hi,

I experienced crash of TE during the autotesting inside ESX. Vm was running Windows 7 x32

I dumped the process and you can download it from there:

https://share.avg.com/infolab/QA.CRASH.rar

Note that the dump could be useless cause I used the Windows task manager to generate it.

If not enough, I ve created a snapshot and downloaded the VM off the ESX. I can provide it as well.

Thank you

M.

8 Replies

• Hello Momchil,

Thanks for the file. However, you are right - the dump file does not contain the information we need to investigate the crash.

Please clarify the situation a bit:

When TestExecute crashes, do you see an error message or the built-in dumper window?

Can you reproduce the crash? If you can, please describe the scenario.
    bozhinov
    Occasional Contributor
    I was able to reproduce it few times during installation of our product.

Same operating system, problem is that I get the "stopped working" window, but no default debugger (as is disabled on purpose)

Simple operations before the crash - > extract installation file -> start the installation file -> crash

There are few checks (registry keys, certain fails), but nothing remotely connected. it is also possible that the setup application is not responsive for few seconds, that is usually a problem with TE

Best approach ?

Thank you for replying.

I would prefer if we continue that communication in private channel (if possible)
    bozhinov
    Occasional Contributor
    P.s. I have snapshot of the VM which i can provide if needed

• Hello Momchil,

Yes, we can move the discussion to a private channel. Please submit a support case from here:

http://www.automatedqa.com/support/message/

Include the results of the below steps in the submission for us to get more details on the crash:

1. Download a free trial version of AQtime 6, which is our profiling tool, from our web site. The trial can be requested on the following page of our web site:

http://www.automatedqa.com/downloads/aqtime/

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime.

4. Select the 'File | New Project From Module...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the TestExecute.exe file and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

9. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

10. AQtime will start TestExecute and trace all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

11. Reproduce the problem by running your test in TestExecute.

12. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

13. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file.

Thanks in advance.
    bozhinov
    Occasional Contributor
    Thank you for that. It will be done on Monday, hopefully I ll have the results few days after that.
    bozhinov
    Occasional Contributor
    Could not be reproduced locally. I ll have to prepare new image for the ESX. Please do not close the thread, this will take longer then expected

Thank you.
    bozhinov
    Occasional Contributor
    I think I ve found the problem and it is most probably caused by the dynamic memory allocation inside the ESX

The image did not have enough ram. If happens again, I know how to contact you and what data to provide. Thanx a lot for everything.