Forum Discussion

zdanov
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

TestComplete service cannot be started

Hello, 

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this issue after installing the latest TC version. Every time I try to open TC, services are not running. When I check errors in the server manager, it only says "Services TestComplete 12 Service cannot be started". I can't even start it manually. Rebooting the server also didn't help.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Serge.

• Hi Serge,

Try to uninstall TestComplete (do not deactivate the license if prompted), check that <Program Files (x86)>\SmartBear\TestComplete 12\ folder is absent or is empty (manually delete it if it contains anything) and install TestComplete a-new.

Hope this will help...

6 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Serge,

Try to uninstall TestComplete (do not deactivate the license if prompted), check that <Program Files (x86)>\SmartBear\TestComplete 12\ folder is absent or is empty (manually delete it if it contains anything) and install TestComplete a-new.

Hope this will help...

zdanov
      Contributor

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for you reply. I was trying to avoid that step if possible, but if this is the best solution, I will reinstall it... :)

If the issue continues to happen after reinstalling it, I will get back to you.

Thanks!

Serge.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

I, too, have experienced this problem... it's usually on a machine that is running a Windows Server OS.  My other workstations (Windows 10 and Windows 7) don't have this problem.  A reinstall/repair install does work.

zdanov
      Contributor

Hi Alex,

This did the job; It works fine now...

Thanks!

Serge.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Serge,

Thank you for the update.

Also a note from Robert was interesting for me.

socaltester
      Contributor

I'm experiencing this same issue with Windows 10 Enterprise v1703 64-bit.  I require an administrator to install and each of the 3 times it's been installed it works for me as a user until after I log out for the night. When I get back to work, I'll log back in and now I need administrator rights to start the "TestComplete 12 Service".

Pop-up 1 -

"Do you want to allow this app to make change to your device? Program location: "C:\Windows\System32\net.exe" start "TestComplete 12 Service. To continue, enter admin user name and password".

I do not enter "admin user name and password. Then...

Pop-up 2 -

"The TestComplete Service is not running. TestComplete is not running. TestComplete cannot start without it. Please run the service."

I will have my administrator attempt another install following the guidance given in this post and report back.