Forum Discussion

Astrid
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Test keeps failing with Text "..." was not found

I am new to TestComplete and I have just recorded my first test. I have done multiple recordings of the same scenario and every time I run it the test fails with "The text 'xxx' was not found." The text itself is different every time. The last time it was "ESO" and I am not aware of this particular string in my application. Another time the playback placed two text strings in the same field, which resulted in the second field being empty. Another time the test just did not find the text string on the right click menu. - Does anyone have any advice for how to fix this? - TiA - Astrid

• Ideally, all development should be done on your local machine. You can then deploy to another machine, to test that it works.

If you had a very slow connection and you were to remote desktop to another machine. You will be able to see the remote desktop updating, as it constantly redraws images (streams) of the whole window. Hence, the reason automation tools can't actually see any of the UI objects.

FYI, you can mark the post as Solved

15 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Looking at your screenshots, and your previous response. Are you trying to automate your application that's running on a VM, using your local machine? If yes, then like majority of all automation tools, this is not supported and will cause issues. However, you can playback the automation on a VM.

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

If what rraghvani says is the case, then you'll need to install TestComplete on the vm and run the whole test there. 

Astrid
      Occasional Contributor

Thank You! - Yes, that is my configuration. I have now installed the application on my laptop and will record there. Then I will try to playback on a VM. I will share how that goes. - Thank You again!

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Ideally, all development should be done on your local machine. You can then deploy to another machine, to test that it works.

If you had a very slow connection and you were to remote desktop to another machine. You will be able to see the remote desktop updating, as it constantly redraws images (streams) of the whole window. Hence, the reason automation tools can't actually see any of the UI objects.

FYI, you can mark the post as Solved

Astrid
      Occasional Contributor

Ok, thank you all much for your help!

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

We can probably help you fix this but it would be helpful if you give us some screenshots of the recorded test and one or two of the results test logs with the errors.

Astrid
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Please find attached some of the failure records. I hope this is what you need. 2 zips contain image and log only. The last one (Failure4) contains all files in the test execution record. Please let me know if something else is required - Thank you so much! - Astrid

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Thanks for trying with all these images but Just a screenshot or two of the test where it's failing and the matching log is fine - you can just post those here and make it easy for us to look.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

That helps, yes!  Looking at Failure6, do you expect to see 'ESO' on that screen in the picture at the bottom? 

Astrid
      Occasional Contributor

I do not expect to see 'ESO'. I have never seen that text before. Another question: I have TestComplete installed on my laptop but am recording and running the tests in a remote VM. Do you think that would cause a problem? I thought I saw in the FAQs that VMs are supported.

Astrid
        Occasional Contributor

Here is another test. Problem is "OK not found" but it looks like the OK button has been located. Why is it not found?