Forum Discussion

grutherford
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Test Complete starts several versions of my tested app while running a test. Why is that?

How can I keep this from happening?  After a test completes there are one or more instances of the tested app running in the windows task manager.

• Marsha_R wrote:

Could it be left over from earlier runs of a test?  Do you have something in your test that actually shuts down the app?

As Marsha_R mentions above, TestComplete, unless told otherwise, will keep the application in memory.  So, if you have TC start the app and then not stop it, the app will stay in memory.  If you're using the TestedApps object of TestComplete to start your app, that's a different story because that object has a "count" for every application that will mark the max number of instances of the app that can be running.

Best practice, at least in my opinion: Every test case in your automation suite should be autonomous... should be able to run a test case without having it dependant upon others.  That means, also, each test case has a "ramp up" and "tear down"... and part of those two segments are starting the app and closing the app.  I would suggest you look at your test cases and make sure each one has the appropriate "tear down" processes to clean up after itself.

3 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Could it be left over from earlier runs of a test?  Do you have something in your test that actually shuts down the app?

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Marsha_R wrote:

As Marsha_R mentions above, TestComplete, unless told otherwise, will keep the application in memory.  So, if you have TC start the app and then not stop it, the app will stay in memory.  If you're using the TestedApps object of TestComplete to start your app, that's a different story because that object has a "count" for every application that will mark the max number of instances of the app that can be running.

Best practice, at least in my opinion: Every test case in your automation suite should be autonomous... should be able to run a test case without having it dependant upon others.  That means, also, each test case has a "ramp up" and "tear down"... and part of those two segments are starting the app and closing the app.  I would suggest you look at your test cases and make sure each one has the appropriate "tear down" processes to clean up after itself.

shankar_r
    Community Hero

How you are running the TestedApp via Script or Keyword?

Share us some scripts or screenshots on the TestedApp calling part, It would helpful to provide comments