Forum Discussion

simonhooper
New Contributor
13 years ago

Problems following upgrade to 8.60 from 8.0 and support answer times

Hi

Anyone else experience showstoppers following upgrade from 8.0 to 8.60?  I now get errors such as 

operator() - Invoke calling error : The server threw an exception.

and

Access violation at address 184B3404 in module 'tcthirdpartycontrols.pls'. Read of address 00000000

on script that worked fine in 8.0.

It seems everytime I upgrade I have major issues with VCL open application testing.   It would be ok if support were quick to respond but it can take days to answer and weeks/months/(even years!) to resolve problems.  Is it me or does everyone have the same?

Thanks for listening

Simon

3 Replies

• Hi Simon,

You are facing a quite specific issue and, as far as I know, we are working with you on it directly via mail.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    I'm not having "years" problems with resolving issues... I do have an issue that I'm working with Support on that is taking several months, but that is because it is difficult to reproduce and is a rather involved problem.  

In my experience, SmartBear support staff are the cream of the crop, doing wonderful work at getting answers as quickly and as succinctly as possible.  Having worked on a customer service desk myself for over 6 years, while yes, it can be frustrating for the end user to not get an "instant" answer, I sympathize with SmartBear's staff that, with the many different kinds of users of many different ability levels with language barriers, time-zone barriers, different development environments, different uses, etc., quite frankly, I can't imagine them doing a better job than they already are.

So... have a little patience.  If they are working with you on a problem, I can guarentee that they have their best staff working on it and are doing their best to get you an answer as quickly as possible.

As pointed out, your issue seems to be very specific.  I have not experienced that issue myself so there's nothing I can add to it.  Because it is in the "thirdpartycontrols" plug in, it might have something to do with a specific part of a specific control and TC's interaction with it...since the thirdparty control is, by definition, not under the control of SmartBear staff, it's possible that you've run into a part of it that they may not have anticipated or that you're using a modified or different version of the control that they may not have accounted for.  So... give them as much information as you can, keep the lines of communication open, and I'm certain they will resolve your problem.
  • Robert -  I will try to have more patience but find it frustrating when using a tool for software testing that is always (for us) more unstable than the software it is testing!  I wonder if I experience more problems because I am testing a VCL C++ application (via a connected application) which is no so common these days.  Thanks for taking time to comment.