Forum Discussion

rmanning
Contributor
14 years ago

Issues with TC8 and Office 2010 Using DDT

Hello,

I've recently upgrading the computer we use for writing routines on TC8, and since upgrading I am now having issues running the scripts when using values from an Excel spreadsheet using DDT.  Testcomplete will run the script but nothing happens and no errors are given.

Is there issues when using the Excel DDT Driver and Office 2010?  Do we require Office 2007 to be installed instead?  

Thank you.

6 Replies

• I guess my question is does DDT.ExcelDriver run depending on if you have Office installed, and does it work with Office/Excel 2010?  It doesn't appear to work with a machine that has Office 2010 but did before on another machine with Office 2007 installed.

Please let me know :)

Thanks!

Update: not 100% certain but do I need somthing like the following to be installed? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=C06B8369-60DD-4B64-A44B-84B371EDE16D&displaylang=en
  • So I tried that Access package and it does nothing; Still having issues running my script when trying to pull variables from an excel spreadsheet.   Would it be due to the fact that I have Office 2010 64 bit installed?  I really need to get this functional again, any help is greatly appreciated!
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Ryan,

Any option to install Excel 2010 32-bit instead of 64-bit?

AFAIK, DDT is based on ADO that, in its turn, is 32-bit platform and thus I can easily expect compatibility problems.
  • It's definitly a 64bit issue related to Office 2010;  I've removed it and now installed Office 2007 and the DDT Driver for Excel spreadsheet functionality is working again.  

Now I've run into another issue in that my email script is no longer working;  I believe it has something to do with Office as well (see my post here: http://www.automatedqa.com/forums/forum/post/?mode=singleThread&thread=5cba3cea-4b84-45c0-bd8b-4f18a62959fd) in that CDO is not supported in Office 2010 (which is another reason why I downgraded to 2007) and requires the following to be installed for it to work with Office 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2714320d-c997-4de1-986f-24f081725d36&DisplayLang=en -- Hopefully this will resolve my email issues.

Will post back with my results.
  • Well, I've managed to figure out the issues I was experiencing since installing TestComplete 8 onto a new system and running into various problems with my scripts (that were running and working on a different machine).

First off, because this new machine has Office 2010 64-bit installed, I could not use the DDT Driver for Excel spreadsheets properly and fixed this issue by removing Office 2010 and installing a 32-bit version of Office 2007 (note that I could have also chose to use the DDT Driver for CSV files as it appeared to work regarless of my Office version, but I chose to have Excel functionality so I am sticking with Office 2007 for now).

Secondly, I was having issues sending out email reports from my scripts using the CDO functionality from within TestComplete; Although my emails would appear to be send out without errors, they never arrived in the mailbox specified in the script.  Turns out it was due to Avast Antivirus and it's "Mail Shield", which was blocking TestComplete from actually sending out the email reports (note that the built in SendMail function worked however, but I require use of the SendEmail function using CDO as I have multiple attachments that need to be sent with my emails)  So by disabling the "Mail Shield" feature within Avast, my emails were finally being sent out as they should.  I also did *not* have to install that CDO package for Office 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2714320d-c997-4de1-986f-24f081725d36&DisplayLang=en), nor do I have an actual profile/data file/email account setup in Outlook itself; It just works as is with Office 2007 installed. (and might work with 2010 but I cannot say for certain as I had this issue when running 2010 before but again it was due to Avast Antivirus)

Anyways, I now appear to finally have my old scripts working again on this new machine.  Too bad it cost me a day in productivity trying to debug these issues, which is why I thought I would post my findings in case anyone else runs into these same issues.

Thanks.