rafibbh
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Upgrade path for TestComplete v12.60

Dear All,

TC = TestComplete

TE = TestExecute

I am new to TestComplete administration and I plan to upgrade our current installation from 12.60 to 14.20. I have a couple of questions in regard to that:

Question nr 1: If I upgrade Smartbear license manager to the latest version, is it going to work with TestComplete 12.60/TestExecute 12.60 clients ? If not, does it mean we have to upgrade the license manager and all TC/TE installations at once ?

Question nr 2: What is the best upgrade path from 12.60 to 14.20 ? Can we jump directly to 14.20 or some intermediate upgrades are necessary ?

Thank you 

Rafi

• Hi,

> license manager to the latest version, is it going to work with TestComplete 12.60

Yes, it should.

> Can we jump directly to 14.20 

Yes.

Two notes:

a) Different major versions of TC/TE can co-exist on the same machine. So, your 12.60 installation will not be upgraded, but a new instance of 14.20 will be installed. You may safely uninstall v.12.60 after you check that everything works for you with 14.20;

b) Major versions of TC/TE change internal format of test project files, so that projects cannot be opened and used in the previous versions after they were opened and saved in the higher version. So, to be on the safe side, do not forget to backup your projects before opening them in version 14.20.

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> license manager to the latest version, is it going to work with TestComplete 12.60

Yes, it should.

> Can we jump directly to 14.20 

Yes.

Two notes:

a) Different major versions of TC/TE can co-exist on the same machine. So, your 12.60 installation will not be upgraded, but a new instance of 14.20 will be installed. You may safely uninstall v.12.60 after you check that everything works for you with 14.20;

b) Major versions of TC/TE change internal format of test project files, so that projects cannot be opened and used in the previous versions after they were opened and saved in the higher version. So, to be on the safe side, do not forget to backup your projects before opening them in version 14.20.

rafibbh
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you Alex for your prompt response.

One additional question in regard to that: can we also have two versions of license manager, for 12.60 and 14.20, on the same server as we can do with TC/TE ?

Best regards,

Rafal

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Rafal,

This is not required as you can register licenses for both TC versions within one license manager.

(I even think that it is not possible to have two license managers installed on the same box.)