Forum Discussion

JohanH
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

[Jenkins integration]: Test runner exit code: -6

Hi,

We have an automated test setup where we are running TestComplete tests via Jenkins. We are running Jenkins as a service and it has been working (sort of) rather good. Lately however I have noticed that suddenly a Jenkins node stops working and fails to run the test with exit code -6 (which I can find no reference to in the docs). After some time (and me trying to understand what it means, since the service clearly is there) it starts working again.

Any idéas?

Here is a full printout of the log:

[TestComplete] The test execution started (TestCompleteSuite/Reliability/UserCreateUserAndLogon/RunTest).
[TestComplete] Found TestComplete/TestExecute installations:
	Type: TE, Version: 12.10.590.11, Path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestExecute 12\bin\TestExecute.exe"
[TestComplete] Selected TestComplete/TestExecute installation:
	Type: TE, Version: 12.10.590.11, Path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestExecute 12\bin\TestExecute.exe"
[TestComplete] Launching the test runner.
$ '"C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestExecute 12\bin\TestCompleteService12.exe"' //LogonAndExecute //lDomain: "" //lName: "admin" //lPassword: ******** //lTimeout: "-1" //lUseActiveSession: "true" //lCommandLine: '""C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestExecute 12\bin\TestExecute.exe" d:\dev\skynet\TestCompleteSuite\TestCompleteSuite.pjs /run /SilentMode /ForceConversion /ns /exit /ExportLog:d:\dev\skynet\2598651.tclogx /ExportLog:d:\dev\skynet\2598651.htmlx /ErrorLog:d:\dev\skynet\2598651.txt /ExportLog:d:\dev\skynet\2598651.mht /project:Reliability /unit:UserCreateUserAndLogon /routine:RunTest /DoNotShowLog"'
[TestComplete] Test runner exit code: -6 (TestComplete Service is not available on the node).
[TestComplete] [WARNING] Unable to find the log file "2598651.tclogx".
[TestComplete] [WARNING] Unable to find the log file "2598651.htmlx".
[TestComplete] [WARNING] Unable to find the log file "2598651.mht".
[TestComplete] [WARNING] Errors occurred during the test execution.
[TestComplete] Marking the build as FAILED.
[TestComplete] [WARNING] Unable to publish test results (xml data is empty).
[TestComplete] The test execution finished 

/Johan

4 Replies

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Depending upon the OS, after a reboot, the TestCompleteService doesn't always start up well.  I think there may be a patch or something out there for it but I'm not sure.  But that seems to be the problem... that the attempt to start the TestCompleteService failed and, therefore, the TestComplete/TestExecute instance fails to launch.

JohanH
    Occasional Contributor

Aha, well it seems like the TestCompleteService had stopped. It seems to that quite often which gives us a headache, since we have like 20 jenkins-slaves and manually logging into and checking them all the time is not a sustainable solution. I'll see if we can configure the service to restart on failure (if it is not already set up to do that).

Thanks!

DavidE
      Contributor

JohanH if the services is crashing frequently, you should look into your logs.  We have a similar environment with Jenkins executing TestExecute on our slave nodes and this has never been an issue for us.

The only time I have ever seen the TestComplete Service not running was when I accidentally killed it myself because I didn't realize that it was a service, and thought it was just left in memory after closing out TestExecute on a machine.  Needless to say, I realized quite quickly that that wasn't the case.