Forum Discussion

GMaguire
New Contributor
14 years ago

Combo Boxes Overlapping Combox Boxes/Text Boxes

Hi

I am very new to TestComplete and i am currenlty creating tests for a form application developed in Delphi. Basically i am getting the following error during the playback of my tests:

The window is invisible and thus cannot be activated.

I think that this error is ocurring beacuse when i am using the click action to select values from combo boxes that are overlapping other combo boxes or textbox controls the current control cannot be activated. However if i run another test using the tab control to select the combo box and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to select the value the same test runs correctly.

I would like a bit of advice on how to reslove this issue, i have read a bit on overlapping events but i am not really sure how to implement this as to get the click selection of values in overlapping combo boxes.

Any help appreciated.

8 Replies

GMaguire
    New Contributor
    Can anybody provide any advice on this problem as i am now encountering on more and more of my tests.

• Hi Gerald,

Please let me know exactly what version of TestComplete you have. If it is not the latest version, which is 7.52, please install it and check whether the problem occurs with it.

If the issue occurs with the latest version of the tool, please let me know exactly which combo boxes are used in your application. Tell me their name, vendor, and version so we can try to find a sample application and reproduce the issue here.
    shail2812
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

I faced exactly similar issue with combobox (DevExpress controls). i somehow managed to by pass it using the keypress event. but if you come to know of a solution, I would appriciate if you could let me know. I will also share it once i kow it.

Thanks,

Shailendra

• Hi Shailendra,

As a rule, the behavior you've described depends on the type of the tested control greatly. So, most probably, you are having a different problem. I would appreciate it if you submitted a request via the Contact Support form and described the problem you are facing in detail.
    GMaguire
    New Contributor
    Hi

I also got around this problem using the keypress event alhough this is not ideal as i could not replicate a click event on the control i wanted to perform the action on.

David i was not completely sure on what you meant by vendor and version of the control anyway i can provide this info for starters, the application is developed using Delphi 5 Enterprise and the two controls that testcomplete seems to have some trouble with are the TDBComboBox and the TDBLookupComboBox hope this helps a bit.

• Hi Gerald,

Ok, thanks for information. I have just tried to reproduce the behavior you describe with the MastApp sample application shipped along with Borland Delphi, but failed. A script recorded with these controls was executed without problems.

Could you please check whether you can reproduce the problem with the 'MastApp' sample application?
    GMaguire
    New Contributor
    Hi David,

Not sure if i will be able to make a test on that Masterapp as i would need to talk to one of the developers to see if they can provide the app for me. I have attached a couple of screen prints that show the way the combo boxes are positioned on the application form that i am testing.

The control that playback of a test has most problems with is the TDBLookup ComboBox although the problem is intermittent as there are many controls of this type throughout the application, although if playback fails on one control it will consistently fail on the same control when re-running the test.

• Hi Gerald,

Probably, this behavior is caused by some specifics in the implementation or usage of these controls in your application. I have tried to modify a sample application to make its controls be placed in the same way as in the images you sent, but I still was unable to recreate the problem.

So, please ask the developers to provide you with a sample to check whether my assumption is correct. Let me know your results.