Forum Discussion

hhagay
Contributor
8 years ago

How to work with dynamic web table?

I have attached a snapshot of the web table and I highlighted the areas that I am raising here.

- We use react to dynamically create web tables.

My questions are:

1. How do I act on the delete/edit activities of a particular given name? There is no way (that I found) that I can "count" the table rows and somehow identify the row number and then pass it the "col" number.

2. How do I read the table numerator (bottom page marked with red square)?

Thank you :)

6 Replies

• Hi ,

I imagine you actually know the row which you obviously want to edit or delete. So in that case your test case has access to the data of that row. Taking that as granted the following solution actually works for any table control(edit,delete a table row etc)

//in your case ColumnName : Employee
    //grid is the object reference of the table you are dealing with
    function GetTableColumnIndex(Grid, ColumnName, IsLogOnError: OleVariant = true): integer;
      var ri, i: integer;
      str1,str2:string;
    begin
      result := -1;
      str2 := TidyStringL(ColumnName);
      //Log.Message(str2 + ' : ' + VarToStr(Length(str2)));
      for ri := 0 to Grid.RowCount - 1 do  
      begin
        for i := 0 to Grid.ColumnCount[i] - 1 do
        begin
          str1 := aqString.Trim(aqString.ToLower(VarToStr(Grid.Cell(ri, i).contentText)));      
          if aqString.Compare(str1,str2,false) = 0 then
          begin
            result := i;
            exit;
          end;
        end;  
      end;  

if IsLogOnError then    
        Log.Error('''' + VarToStr(ColumnName) + ''' column not found on grid ' + VarToStr(Grid.FullName), nil, nil, nil, Grid.Picture);     
    end;

function GetTableRowNo(Grid, KeyFields, KeyValues): integer;
    var 
      i, j, colIndex: integer;
      match: boolean; 
    begin
      result := -1;

aqString.ListSeparator := ',';

for i := 0 to Grid.RowCount - 1 do //each row
      begin
        match := true;

for j := 0 to aqString.GetListLength(KeyFields) - 1 do //each key field
        begin
          colIndex := GetTableColumnIndex(Grid, aqString.GetListItem(KeyFields, j));

if colIndex < 0 then  
            exit;

//'No data to display' cell
          if Grid.ColumnCount[i] < colIndex then //column count of the row < colIndex
            continue; 
           //CompareStringValues is just a comparision function which compares 2 //string and returns true if same else returns false  
          match := match and (CompareStringValues(aqString.Trim(aqString.GetListItem(KeyValues, j)), aqString.Trim(Grid.Cell(i, colIndex).contentText)));
        end;   

if match then
        begin
          result := i;
          exit;
        end;
      end; 

Log.Error('Row with enclosed column values not found on grid ' + VarToStr(Grid.FullName), 'Column Names: ' + VarToStr(KeyFields) + #13#10 + 'Column Values: ' + VarToStr(KeyValues), nil, nil, Grid.Picture);   
    end; 

function GetTableRowColumnIndex(Grid, KeyFields, KeyValues, FieldName; var RowNo, ColNo): boolean;
    var
      dataGridObj:OleVariant;
    begin
      result := false;

RowNo := GetTableRowNo(Grid, KeyFields, KeyValues);

if RowNo < 0 then 
        exit;

{
        check to see if the Grid is not a split grid(header and data in different grids)
        if it is then  get the data grid reference o
      }     
      if not Grid.exists then exit;

ColNo := GetTableColumnIndex(Grid, FieldName);

if ColNo < 0 then
        exit;

result := true; 
    end;

{
      locate grid cell and click on it
      ClickObjectType 
      - nil: click center of the ClickField cell
      - an ObjectType string: will look for an object of ObjectType = ClickObjectType under ClickField cell then click on it
    }  
    function ClickTableCellControl(Grid, KeyFields, KeyValues, ClickField, ClickObjectType: OleVariant = nil): boolean;
      var rowNo, colIndex: integer;
          o: OleVariant;
    begin
      result := false;

if not GetTableRowColumnIndex(Grid, KeyFields, KeyValues, ClickField, rowNo, colIndex) then exit;

{
       Get the Datagrid Reference
      }   
      if not Grid.exists then exit; 

if IsNullNil(ClickObjectType) then    
        Grid.Cell(rowNo, colIndex).Click
      else
      begin
       //GetButtonObjectReference is a custome method which you should develop where the first parameter
       //Grid.Cell(rowNo, colIndex) is the parent where your edit and delete buttons reside
       // the fourth parameter with value 'ObjectType' is name of the property of the button in this case 'ObjectType' and value
       //(in your case you an find the value of the property "ObjectType" for button you want to click uisng object browser 
       //this is how you get the reference of the button which you want to click in the grid
        o := GetButtonObjectReference(Grid.Cell(rowNo, colIndex), nil, nil, 'ObjectType', ClickObjectType);

if not o.exists then
          exit;

o.Click;
      end;

result := true; 
    end;

Implementation

ClickTableCellControl(tblObject,nil,nil,'Employee','LastName572,FirstName572....','Actions','Image')  
      tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

NICE code, big Kudos.

If you don't want to go that in depth, start with your web table object, search for the cell that contains the text you're looking for, grab the row number for that cell, use the retrieved row and a "constant" column ID to get to the specific cell you want, "FindChild" the control in that cell, and click it.

OK... so, not much simpler but it's another route to the same solution Bharadwaj give you some much more generic code that can be used to find ANY cell in ANY row in given the text in the column header.  Beautiful... 

The assumption, of course, is that the table actually renders in TC Object Browser as something like Table(0) or whatever... an actual HTML Table tag.  If it's some other kind of control, the code may vary.  Without seeing the specifics of how TC recognizes the object, Bharadwaj's solution is your best bet.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Now... as for your second question about the control at the bottom.  FindChild is your friend.  Identify the unique properties of the control, pass them to FindChild, get your control from that and then parse it out for the values you want.

hhagay
      Contributor

Thank you Bharadwaj

Actually, I do not know the row. Furthermore, I do not know how many pages (i.e. table pages) i have to browser through in order to find the account I am looking for.

I will use the code you attached and let you know.

Thank you

Hagay

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

hhagay wrote:

My questions are:

1. How do I act on the delete/edit activities of a particular given name? There is no way (that I found) that I can "count" the table rows and somehow identify the row number and then pass it the "col" number.

FindChildByXPath can be handy, because XPath supports complex queries like "find the image pencil.png in the table row that contains LastName572".

For example, in the WebOrders demo the "Edit" button in the "Paul Brown" row can be identified by this XPath:

//table[@class='SampleTable']//tr[td/text() = 'Paul Brown']//input[@alt='Edit']

You could use something like that.

hhagay
      Contributor

Thank you HKosova

Your sample looks to simply straight forward :)

The table is created dynamically by react so I am limited by my predictions.

However, I will utilize your example and other equally productive examples I received here and will keep you updated.

Thank you

Hagay