Forum Discussion

Philip_Baird
Community Expert
11 years ago

Getting Projects and Keyword Test information from TestExcecute COM object

Hi, I have finished writing a .Net library that wraps the TestExecute COM object to which I can feed an XML file to execute a list of Tests.

I am now writing a manager app for selecting Tests to include in, and generating, the XML file.

I would like to be able to do the following:

1. Open a Suite from the file path

2. Select a Project

3. Select Tests for the Project to include in the XML file, these could be:

a) Script Routines

b) Keyword Tests

c) Project Test Items

I have worked out how to get Script Routines and Project Test Items but I cannot find a way of getting a list of Projects for the Suite or a way of getting Keyword Tests for a Project once the ItcProjectIntegration object is obtained.

Is it possible to get these items, and , if so, how?

Regards,

Phil Baird

5 Replies

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    The only practical way to do this is by reading the XML files themselves (.MDS, .PJS, etc..). The TestComplete COM interfaces are utterly incompetent in this regard, they are clearly just an automation layer on the UI, not a proper API. Even the XML files are pretty ugly, but you can manage them through the XDocument class and Linq.

Here is a very simple example on how to read the weird XML in TC project and project suite files:

Public Function GetPJSProjects(ByVal pathProjectSuite As String) As List(Of String)

Dim xDoc = XDocument.Load(pathProjectSuite)

Return (From n In xDoc...<Node> Where n.@name = "files" Select n.<Node>.@name).ToList

End Function[/xcode]

This would return any "name" property off "Node" nodes that are descendants of the "files" node. Obviously you will have to locate the information  you need within the XML tree and construct your Linq code accordingly, but this should get you started.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Phil,

Some time ago I did a similair to what Hugo said parsing of TC project file to get a list of all manual tests that exist in the project. Hope you'll be able to modify the code (many thanks to SmartBear's Support for the help with it) to get the list of Keyword tests...

'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Function GetManualTestsCollection

Const cProcName = "GetManualTestsCollection"

Dim cProcNameMsgPrefix

cProcNameMsgPrefix = cUnitNameMsgPrefix & cProcName & "(): "

Const cExt = ".tcMT"

Dim Doc

Dim ManualTestCollection

Dim Nodes

Dim Node

Dim strManTCName

Dim i

Set ManualTestCollection = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

Set GetManualTestsCollection = ManualTestCollection

If ("" = BuiltIn.GetCOMServerPath("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")) Then InstallMSXML

' Create COM object

Set Doc = Sys.OleObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0")

Doc.async = False

' Load data from the current project file

Call Doc.load(Project.FileName)

' Report an error, if, for instance, the markup or file structure is invalid

If (Doc.parseError.errorCode <> 0) Then

s = "Reason:" & vbTab & Doc.parseError.reason & vbCrLf & _

"Line:"   & vbTab & CStr(Doc.parseError.line) & vbCrLf & _

"Pos:"    & vbTab & CStr(Doc.parseError.linePos) & vbCrLf & _

"Source:" & vbTab & Doc.parseError.srcText

' Post an error to the log and exit

Call Log.Error(cProcNameMsgPrefix & "Error when parsing the project file.", _

Project.FileName & vbCrLf & s)

Set Doc = Nothing

Exit Function

End If

' Use an XPath expression to obtain the list of Manual tests nodes

'  Set Nodes = Doc.selectNodes("//Node[contains(@name,"".tcmt"")]")

' Return 'name' nodes that ends on cExt value (case insensitive compare)

' Case insensitive search for the 'name' nodes that end on the cExt ('.tcMT') extension

' Based on:

' http://stackoverflow.com/questions/614797/xpath-find-a-node-that-has-a-given-attribute-whose-value-contains-a-string

' http://www.dotnetspider.com/resources/470-Doing-case-InSensitve-comparisons-using-XPa-X.aspx

' http://bytes.com/topic/xml/answers/726552-xpath-query-ends

Set Nodes = Doc.selectNodes("//Node[substring(translate(@name, ""abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"", ""ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ""), string-length(@name) - string-length(""" & cExt & """) + 1, string-length(@name)) = translate(""" & cExt & """, ""abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"",""ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"")]")

' Process the nodes

For Each Node In Nodes

For i = 0 To Node.attributes.length-1

'      If ("value" = Node.attributes(i).name) Then

If ("name" = Node.attributes(i).name) Then

strManTCName = Node.attributes(i).text 'e.g. ManualTests\ManualTest1\ManualTest1.tcMT

' get file name (without path and ext.)

strManTCName = Utilities.ChangeFileExt(aqFileSystem.GetFileName(strManTCName), "")

If ("" <> strManTCName) Then ManualTestCollection.Add strManTCName, Eval(strManTCName)

End If

Next

Next

Set Doc = Nothing

End Function

'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Phil,

As far as I can see, that's impossible to get the full collections of projects/tests, etc. via the Integration object.

You can get these objects only by names.

• Hi,

I did a similar project like you Phil, which works really good with Test Complete/Execute 9.x.

In this version, there was a TestIterator on the IntegrationObject, which made it possible to step through all tests of a project (regardless if test item, script unit, keyword tests). If you are working with version 9.x you can use this way.

I´m currently looking for a solution to get the defined keyword tests of a project through the com interface in the new major version 10.x. Are you still looking for a solution or did you find a way how to get this information?

Kind regards,

Marcus Simon 
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Marcus,

That's so cool!

If you posted your solution here, everybody in the community could see it and, perhaps, use it in future.