cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError for every web service call

Getting Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError for every web service call

Got a new laptop.  Downloaded open source version and imported projects from old laptop.  Have 3 different endpoints and all get the same error when trying to call.

3 REPLIES 3
Visitor

Re: Getting Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError for every web service call

As this is a year and a halfish ago I assume you've already solved the issue. I just want to post this for anyone that comes across this issue in the future.

I also came across this issue and none of the other solutions I found like this one helped me.

My errorlog was filled with: 

java.lang.StackOverflowError
at jdk.nashorn.internal.codegen.LocalVariableTypesCalculator.visitExpression(LocalVariableTypesCalculator.java:597)
at jdk.nashorn.internal.codegen.LocalVariableTypesCalculator.enterCallNode(LocalVariableTypesCalculator.java:502)

Basically my Soapui crashed and then every request once I reopened it failed and resulted in a java.lang.StackOverflowError for every web service call. Even the SoapUI starter page did not load for me. After a few hours of messing around I came up with a fix/workaround that works for me. 

Go to your SoapUI-version/bin folder and edit the soapui.bat

At the top change 

if exist "%SOAPUI_HOME%..\jre\bin" goto SET_BUNDLED_JAVA

if exist "%JAVA_HOME%" goto SET_SYSTEM_JAVA

to 

rem if exist "%SOAPUI_HOME%..\jre\bin" goto SET_BUNDLED_JAVA

if exist "%JAVA_HOME%" goto SET_SYSTEM_JAVA

This forces SoapUI to use JAVA_HOME. As a note, you may need to edit the file as an administrator.

The downside to this solution is that now I have to start SoapUI through running soapui.bat everytime now. But hey it works Smiley Happy

I'm sure there's a way around this to but after hours of reinstalling, delete registry keys and trying to find another solution I'm not going to waste more time trying to figure it out.

Hi,

I had the same issue on SoapUi 5.4.0, and my way to solve it is by adding parameter : -Xss1024k next to the other JVM's parameter in C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.4.0\bin\soapui.bat file. (A value lower than 256k gives me the StackOverflow error) : https://crunchify.com/jvm-tuning-heapsize-stacksize-garbage-collection-fundamental/

I had a similar problem with the overflow error, but this was due to the following setting:

File > Preferences > Proxy Settings > Proxy Setting: "None".

If it is on 'Automatic' it can sometimes cause StackOverFlowError. My error was the following:

Fri May 24 09:52:24 CEST 2019:ERROR:Exception in request: java.lang.Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError
Fri May 24 09:52:24 CEST 2019:ERROR:An error occurred [java.lang.StackOverflowError], see error log for details

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Watch the New Interview
7Mistakes
Join the exciting event
SeptemberHubBub
Top Kudoed Authors
Join the September Hub-bub to show off, learn and win