Ask a Question

Conversion of Automated SOAP Testcases to REST without rewriting

rahulkm
Frequent Visitor

Conversion of Automated SOAP Testcases to REST without rewriting

Hi Folks,

I have a requirement where in we need to convert Automated SOAP service test steps to REST in SOAP UI . But, without rewriting or creating a new REST Suite . Just the existing SOAP services steps should be converted to REST steps . Is the above scenario possible using SOAP UI ? 

Could anyone help me with the above one please ..

2 REPLIES 2
richie
Community Hero

Re: Conversion of Automated SOAP Testcases to REST without rewriting

Hey @rahulkm 

I don't see how this is possible - perhaps the other forum members might know, but from my understanding this is not straightforward at all.

For example - even if all your payloads are embedded within the test step so you might think you can just use a bit of groovy to strip out all of the SOAP envelope leaving the XML payload itself - the fact is that an executable teststep (e.g. SOAP or REST or HTTP, etc.) is actually a child of a specific HTTP operation beit REST or SOAP, so you'd have to change all the Services, Resources, Methods, & Requests. 

Also - SOAP is considered to just use POST method (it's not really explicit - it might be in SoapUI - I can't check, I use ReadyAPI!) but SOAP essentially uses POST for all requests - GET, PUT, POST, DELETE, whereas REST typically uses the appropriate method for the request.

It sounds like a nice idea - converting SOAP to REST - and even if it was even possible, I believe there are just too many variables to automate the process - I think it would take so much time to automate the process, you might just as well do it manually.

Just my opinion - I could be wrong, but I don't believe I am,

ta

rich

if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta
ZDGN
Contributor

Re: Conversion of Automated SOAP Testcases to REST without rewriting

Hi @rahulkm ,

I do agree with @richie, don't think you can take it easily without heavy refactoring.

But you may find a way using a proxy to transform you request (you can find an example here).

Another way is to use a specific tool like DreamFactory.

In both cases, I cannot certified the solution will work, sorry.

David.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: