Forum Discussion

hiepwork08
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Difference between ReadyAPI and TestComplete

Hi, I am in the process of evaluating tools for a CI/CD setup. I have used TestComplete in the past.

What is the main difference between the two?

They both seem to be functional testing tools. How do the two fit in a CI\CD pipeline?

Thanks

nmrao
    3 years ago

API testing is quite different to web based or UI based testing, here user see what they are doing where as API, they have to know or use API documentation in order to be able to test APIs.

Also there will be interfaces / contract between service and client namely WSDL (for SOAP) and Swager / Open API Spect / WADL for (REST) using which client can know the operations / methods supported by the service.

In short, no record option for API testing. Recording is limited to UI based applications.

I am afraid, regarding UDP support while one can test http which is based on tcp.

5 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey hiepwork08,

Most test tools will test things from a functional perspective. Even performance testing tools test the functionality of a system (functional is just another word for behavioural) and even 'non-functional' requirements like performance it can be argued is the performance related 'behaviour' of a system. Its just termed non-functional to split the requirements out to separate them from what people consider is 'functional'.

The difference is in what component within the 'system under test' youre exercising in your tests.

TestComplete does front end testing (so youre testing the behaviour of the front end functionality)

ReadyAPI does api/interface/integration testing (so youre testing the behaviour of the interfaces between discrete systems within your 'system under test')

So both applications (as well as various other tools testing different aspects of a system) can be added to a ci/cd/ct pipeline.

Hope ive been clear,

Cheers,

Rich
    nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    Understand that you knew what test complete does, to web based applications while ReadyAPI can be used for API (REST, SOAP, JDBC, WEBSOCKETS, and other protocolos like jms, SMTP,mqtt )

ReadyAPI tests can be invoked command line, so can be called from CI/CD.

What are your use cases?
      hiepwork08
      Contributor

I am still new to the project, in short its a web-based application which uses the Angular UI control, docker containers (TestComplete looks to be suitable for the front-end aspects) and mirco-services. Testing of the back-end micro-services is what I am interested in, ReadyAPI seems to be what I need.

The application services are predominantly linux based.

The back-end uses websocket, HTTP/REST, UDP...

Does ReadyAPI have a record and replay feature?

I like TestComplete because users can pretty much create tests without a large learning curve. Is ReadyAPI the same, can tests be composed easily using APIs/wizards provided.

Cheers

nmrao
        Champion Level 3

User explicitly makes the API call the to desired services in order to get the response.