Forum Discussion

jjessop
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Unable to instrument the .apk application

Hello, 

I recently received a new apk build from my dev.  I have given him the most recent PatchServices.jar to build with, he has also ensured me that he is calling it in the OnCreate method, the app is also a debug build.  By all accounts, this app has been instrumented for TC within it's build process.

However, upon running, the app will crash stating that it was unable to be instrumented stating: 

"TestComplete did not find the needed classes in the package. Possible causes: • Your package was built with the Instant Run feature enabled. Currently, such packages are not supported. Turn Instant Run off and rebuild your package. • The package is not a UI application (for example, it is a service), and it does not contain elements for functional testing with TestComplete.

TestComplete did not find the needed classes in the package.

Possible causes:

• Your package was built with the <a href="https://developer.android.com/studio/run/index.html#instant-run">Instant Run</a> feature enabled. Currently, such packages  
   are not supported. Turn Instant Run off and rebuild your package.

• The package is not a UI application (for example, it is a service), and
   it does not contain elements for functional testing with TestComplete."

So I tried instrumenting the application manually in the TestedApps wizard.  I got the most recent debug.keystore along with the correct alias and password/phrase. TestComplete also refuses to instrument stating the same error as above.

I have confirmed that the build does not have "Instant Run" enabled.
I have confirmed that this is definitely also a UI app (not service).

I'm at a loss as to what to do next here.
Version 12.31
Windows 10

5 Replies

• jjessop wrote:

Hello, 

I recently received a new apk build from my dev.  I have given him the most recent PatchServices.jar to build with, he has also ensured me that he is calling it in the OnCreate method, the app is also a debug build.  By all accounts, this app has been instrumented for TC within it's build process.

However, upon running, the app will crash stating that it was unable to be instrumented stating: 

"TestComplete did not find the needed classes in the package. Possible causes: • Your package was built with the Instant Run feature enabled. Currently, such packages are not supported. Turn Instant Run off and rebuild your package. • The package is not a UI application (for example, it is a service), and it does not contain elements for functional testing with TestComplete.

TestComplete did not find the needed classes in the package.

Possible causes:

• Your package was built with the <a href="https://developer.android.com/studio/run/index.html#instant-run">Instant Run</a> feature enabled. Currently, such packages  
       are not supported. Turn Instant Run off and rebuild your package.

• The package is not a UI application (for example, it is a service), and
       it does not contain elements for functional testing with TestComplete."

So I tried instrumenting the application manually in the TestedApps wizard.  I got the most recent debug.keystore along with the correct alias and password/phrase. TestComplete also refuses to instrument stating the same error as above.

I have confirmed that the build does not have "Instant Run" enabled.
    I have confirmed that this is definitely also a UI app (not service).

I'm at a loss as to what to do next here.
    Version 12.31
    Windows 10

Marsha_R I'm encountering this very same crashing error while testing an application. I've had already contacted the support regarding the same. It has been 2 week already however got no response from the support team yet. 

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Yes, what AlexKaras said.  I've never had to wait more than 24 hours for a response from Support and that's only because of time zone difference.