Forum Discussion

itvrdeich
Contributor
13 years ago

Text Execute Playback Speed Problems

Hi,

I am getting into some problems with test execute. It becomes far to slow when performing my tests.I realised that it starts off really quickly (I have set the speed setting to 50) which is all good and runs fine but then suddenly as it gets 5 minutes into it, it starts to perform very slowly. Any ideas?

9 Replies

superuser
    Occasional Contributor
    Which version of test complete are you using? I too had a problem with slow execution of TC 6 and found that in code if you use findchildren or findchild method makes the TC excution slow. just simple advice once you create any variable or object once its operation is done make it null or destroy it.
    irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi Ivan,

There are several reasons that may cause test to slowdown. For instance, your test may call the FindChild method (like Satish said), and TestComplete will iterate through the objects hierarchy to find the needed child. Sometimes, it may take some time. For more information on causes of the performance decrease and the improvements that can help you to improve this performance, please refer to the Automated Test Performance Tips article on our web site.

Thanks.

• I think I have found what the problem is.

It seems as though when I use Test Complete to playback at the same time Test Execute is running that it lags alot.

Is there a reason why I cant use Test Complete and Text Execute at same time? They are running on different computers but they are using the same project stored on a shared folder.

Cheer, Ivan.

irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi Ivan,

Is there a reason why I cant use Test Complete and Text Execute at same time?

I'm afraid, I don't exactly understand how you run one project on two machines simultaneously? Do you use the server operating system and the RDP connection? If you do, the performance slowdown is expected behavior.

If you use another approach, please describe it in detail.

Thanks.

• Well i have a machine with test complete installed which i use to record and playback tests as i create them. I have 3 projects in 1 project suite. I have 3 test machines which run 1 of the 3 projects. As i keep working creating tests in test complete  i realise that when i play them back they cause the machine running tests to slow down big time. Is that expected? Can i not work on my projects while they are being run by test execute on the other machine? 
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Ivan,

Actually, I'm a little surprised you're not running into other problems.  As you are creating tests on the one machine, you're updating things like the MDS file, the Script.tcScript file, and other such supporting structure files.  When the scripts finishing running on the other machine, they will update those files as well if needed, potentially causing some corruption or other loss of settings.

In such a distributed environment, I would recommend using some sort of source control program like Mercurial/Hg or TFS or something.  That way you can keep the actual code being worked on and code being executed local to the machine in question and you won't have any interference between the two.  The check in/check out/get functions of your SC system would then allow you to make sure that your code is up to date on all machines in question regularly.
  • Alright. I have added my projects to TFS but i have lots of questions.

If I remove the shared network folder, where will it save all my logs?

I run all my tests on virtual machines that get wiped clean later on so i will lose those unless I check in all the log files after every test run.

Is it a good idea to keep the shared network drive for the test execute machines and use a local folder for test complete?

irina_lukina
    Super Contributor

Hi Ivan,

I've found your request to our Support Team in our DB. To help us investigate the problem, please continue working with our Support Team via e-mail.

Thanks.