Forum Discussion

javance
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago

TestExecute - Is there a way to run a specific test group in a project?

Instead of running a project's entire suite of tests?

Under Project Foo, I have tests Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3.  I only want to run Group 2.  Is this possible?

The context menu provides Run --> <project name> but no finer control.  I need Run --> <project name> --> <test group name> or some such.

Thanks in advance.

If this isn't the appropriate forum, please redirect me.

7 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Here you go:   http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/54705/

/project:project_name  /test:test_name

TestExecute will run the specified test. Project_name specifies the name of the project that holds the desired test (use the same name as the one shown in the Project Explorer panel). Test_name specifies the full name of the desired test. The full name should include the test name, the name of the parent project item and (for scripts) the unit name separated by the pipe character ( | ) and enclosed in quotation marks. For example,"KeywordTests|Test1" or "Script|Unit1|Main". The test name should not contain the name of the Advanced folder or the names of other logical project folders.

javance
      Occasional Contributor

Marsha_R wrote:

Here you go:   http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/54705/

/project:project_name  /test:test_name

TestExecute will run the specified test. Project_name specifies the name of the project that holds the desired test (use the same name as the one shown in the Project Explorer panel). Test_name specifies the full name of the desired test. The full name should include the test name, the name of the parent project item and (for scripts) the unit name separated by the pipe character ( | ) and enclosed in quotation marks. For example,"KeywordTests|Test1" or "Script|Unit1|Main". The test name should not contain the name of the Advanced folder or the names of other logical project folders.

This does not appear to do what I want.  I have my tests organized into groups, under Organize Tests.  I want to run a group, not individual tests in the group.  The groups appear to be test items and not project items, and I can only specify project items or single tests to run, according to the documentation above.  I've tried most combinations of switches above, and TestExecute silently fails to run after loading the project suite.

javance
        Occasional Contributor

Further reading, I don't think this would work with TestExecute at all.  This is using COM to drive TestComplete.  OK fine, but the machine won't have TestComplete installed.  I could use COM to drive TestExecute, but TestExecute has neither GUI functionality nor command line switches to run test items.