Forum Discussion

kostasrazgkelis
New Contributor
12 months ago

TestComplete web application test profiling

I have searched a profiler method to optimize my test code for my web application. 
I have seen only features for Desktop application testing (maybe there are other as well for mobile testing) but I cannot find any information regarding Web app testing.

Is there any internal tool like AQtime that allows to Profile my web app test scripts? If yes does it also return a json like file (not specifically a json file but any result) that I can visualize it?

3 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Are you testing or developing your web application?

If you are testing your web application, there's no need to use such a tool. However, if you are developing your web application, then it would be helpful to use such a tool which can analyse performance and memory usage, when doing multi-processing and memory allocation to perform various intensive tasks on the web server.

For example, if you want to check response timing, browser memory usage etc on the client machine, then you can use performance counters

kostasrazgkelis
      New Contributor

I am only testing the web application but since it's not just a simple web testing and the environment which it takes place is not my local computer but a remote server , on a machine that is used by many users, I need to make sure I have optimized the testing (I hope that makes sense).

I am using a complex structure for test scenario, test chains and test cases with many lines of code which are coupled together (the client requested such complex - but not bad or wrong - structure)  and I need to make sure everything works fine. I am not trying to profile the web app functions but the scripts for testing written in python and testcompelte.

I feel that TestComplete python debugger is enough but not quite what I want. 

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

With automation, you are just interacting with the application, performing various actions to get some sort of end result. Similar to when doing manual testing.

If you are using other development tools, you can use things such as GitHub Copilot, ReSharper etc. but there's no option as far as I'm aware for TestComplete, as it's just a simple scripting language

The debugger allows you to inspect values while stepping through code, useful when you want to know the object value contains what you are expecting.

I've written my automation scripts a number of times - made it too complex which then became difficult to maintain by others that didn't know the structure. Now made it simple, by having a Common project which has reusable functions; Common Template project, which has name mapping, sample coding etc which users can then copy, and start their coding.