Forum Discussion

jz
New Contributor
13 years ago

TestComplete Playback and Object Browser hangs when App is launch from parent App

I have a parent App1 that spawn another process which is a GUI called App2 inside App1

My test launches App1 then App2 and do test in App2

so when App1 is completely launched and i try to access object inside app2 the playback of Testcomplete hangs. waiting for the object in App2

Now

Kill TestComplete

Do not kill the App1 and App2.

Launch TestComplete again and try the section that hung . It works

Please let me know what i can do to fix this.

I am waiting for long time in my test when I launch app2

That is not helping.

7 Replies

• Hi,

To help us reproduce the problem, could you please send us the project you are using and the applications under test via the Contact Support form?

etran
    Occasional Contributor
    Did a resolution come from this issue? I think I'm seeing the same thing, and I am running TestComplete/TestExecute 8.6. I'm just curious how this was resolved.

Thanks,

ET
    Julia_K
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hello Elizabeth,

Unfortunately, we did not receive any reply from Jaffar Zaidi and were not able to reproduce the problem, so no solution is currently available.

To help us investigate the problem, could you please contact our Support Team and send us your tested application?

Thanks in advance.
    etran
    Occasional Contributor
    I don't think I can send you the tested application. I can describe it in more detail though. My tested application is being fed information from an Emulator.

What happens is, TestComplete uses the emulator to feed data to my tested app, after the data is received I attempt get/access objects in the tested application, but TestComplete hangs waiting for the object. I've added RefreshMappingInfo's and RefreshAliases and Delays and nothing seems to be working. TestComplete can't seem to find the same objects I was able to access before the emulator sends data.
    Julia_K
    Elizabeth,

Could you please specify what kind of application you are testing and what emulator you are using?

Thank you.
    etran
    Occasional Contributor
    It's an application that uses hardware to collect scan images, we use the emulator to feed in the scan images because the hardware is not available for Automation. It's an application compiled in .NET 4. Any chance you have a debugging tool that can collect information (ie. dump files) from TestExecute or TestComplete to help narrow down the issue?

I can reproduce the hang, so if you have a method to collect data, I can run that and send that information to you.

Thanks,

ET
    Julia_K

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for the information on your application.

I can reproduce the hang, so if you have a method to collect data, I can run that and send that information to you.

Indeed, we would appreciate it if you sent us dump reports for the TestComplete process. To collect the dump information, please follow the instructions below:

1. Download the Debugging Tools for Windows package from:

http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/debuggers/dbg_x86_6.11.1.404.msi

and install it.

2. Reproduce the issue. When TestComplete hangs, open the Start | Run dialog and execute the following command:

C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\windbg.exe" -pn TestComplete.exe -Q -pd -c ".dump /m C:\Dump1.dmp;q

This command will make WinDbg write a memory dump of the TestComplete.exe process to the "C:\Dump1.dmp" dump file. After the dump is written, WinDbg will be closed.

3. Correct the dump file name in the above command line (for example, change it to Dump2.dmp), wait for two minutes and execute the command again.

4. Repeat step 3.

5. Post the generated dump files here or use the Contact Support web form to send the dump files to our Support Team.

Thanks in advance.