Forum Discussion

sgarcia's avatar
sgarcia
Contributor
2 months ago
Solved

TestComplete not recognizing test extension after update to version 15.59

We've updated our local machines with TestComplete and TestExecute on our test servers running VMs.

Every instance is having issues recognizing the test extension for Edge and Chrome. I've tried uninstalling and adding them back in, but it still doesn't see it. 

These tests were all working before the update. The one thing I've noticed is the browser version for Edge is 120, but the support page says its supported up to 118. However why would it work before but not after the update? 

We don't have a way to roll back the version of the browser currently. So, if this is the issue, then I'm dead in the water until the browser support is brought up to the current version. 

If this isn't the issue then I need some ideas on what it could possibly be. We do run our test with the InPrivate/Incognito browsers. 

Any ideas are appreciated. I've kind run the course on figuring out why this is going on. 

  • So I found a solution to get it to work, but now I'm having issues with the ClickItem method. But at least the browsers are recognized now. I'm currently working with support for the ClickItem issue. 

    The last section of this doc helped me find the solution - https://support.smartbear.com/testexecute/docs/working-with/extending/messages/chrome-extension-is-not-installed.html

    The most important part was to add the Test Extension ID for each browser to the tcCrHost.json file. 

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SmartBear\tcCrExtension\<extension id folder>"

    The interesting thing was I had two extension Id folders. I had to look in the registry to make sure I was updating the correct file by checking the path it was referring to.

    For Chrome: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\TestComplete12.Smartbear.Chrome.Extension"

    Look for Microsoft\Edge in the same path as above to find that one. They say you only need one of them but if you have it in both I'd recommend checking both just to be sure. 

    The key value will show the path it is pointing to, to find the extension json file. 

    Example json:

    Hope this helps anyone dealing with this issue. 

7 Replies

  • So I found a solution to get it to work, but now I'm having issues with the ClickItem method. But at least the browsers are recognized now. I'm currently working with support for the ClickItem issue. 

    The last section of this doc helped me find the solution - https://support.smartbear.com/testexecute/docs/working-with/extending/messages/chrome-extension-is-not-installed.html

    The most important part was to add the Test Extension ID for each browser to the tcCrHost.json file. 

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SmartBear\tcCrExtension\<extension id folder>"

    The interesting thing was I had two extension Id folders. I had to look in the registry to make sure I was updating the correct file by checking the path it was referring to.

    For Chrome: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\TestComplete12.Smartbear.Chrome.Extension"

    Look for Microsoft\Edge in the same path as above to find that one. They say you only need one of them but if you have it in both I'd recommend checking both just to be sure. 

    The key value will show the path it is pointing to, to find the extension json file. 

    Example json:

    Hope this helps anyone dealing with this issue. 

  • Update: 

    I've rolled back to 15.58 and everything seems to be working. I'm guessing there is something with the extension support added for Manifest V3 that is causing issues for us. I really don't have the time to dig in too much with this, but I'll go ahead and create a support ticket. 

  • Michael_B's avatar
    Michael_B
    Occasional Contributor

    I saw the same thing with 15.59 and now with 15.60. My hope was 15.60 would fix the issue. If I roll back to v15.58 it does work. The Edge Extension is loaded, but it just seems like TC is not communicating with it. I was on Edge v115 and upgraded to v118 but that did not help either. Any ideas out there?

  • BreezerK's avatar
    BreezerK
    Occasional Contributor

    I am surprised this isn't getting any more traction and that more people are not having issues.

    We are also staying on 15.58 as well for the same reasons. The extension doesn't seem to work properly. TC is unable to recognize objects on screen anymore. 

    I also assume it is related to Manifest v3 (I told my teams to assume any testing we plan for June will be delayed since that is when Manifest v3 is planned to go live. I do not have faith TestComplete will be working well in time).

    This reminds me of the Chromium 113 issues 8-9 months ago where object recognition was all messed up because Manifest v3 stuff was added (and then rolled back).

    • Michael_B's avatar
      Michael_B
      Occasional Contributor

      That jogs my memory. I remember rolling everyone back to Edge v112 after our monthly updates rolled. I'm going to try SGarcia's fix and see if it helps.