Forum Discussion

sgarcia's avatar
4 months ago

TestComplete not recognizing test extension after update to version 15.59

We've updated our local machines with TestComplete and TestExecute on our test servers running VMs. Every instance is having issues recognizing the test extension for Edge and Chrome. I've tried uni...
  • sgarcia's avatar
    4 months ago

    So I found a solution to get it to work, but now I'm having issues with the ClickItem method. But at least the browsers are recognized now. I'm currently working with support for the ClickItem issue. 

    The last section of this doc helped me find the solution -

    The most important part was to add the Test Extension ID for each browser to the tcCrHost.json file. 

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SmartBear\tcCrExtension\<extension id folder>"

    The interesting thing was I had two extension Id folders. I had to look in the registry to make sure I was updating the correct file by checking the path it was referring to.

    For Chrome: "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\TestComplete12.Smartbear.Chrome.Extension"

    Look for Microsoft\Edge in the same path as above to find that one. They say you only need one of them but if you have it in both I'd recommend checking both just to be sure. 

    The key value will show the path it is pointing to, to find the extension json file. 

    Example json:

    Hope this helps anyone dealing with this issue.