Forum Discussion

warrenw39
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago

TestComplete hangs and becomes unresponsive

I am recording tests for an application on a web page which uses KendoUI. I have successfully created test cases for the application but have run into trouble recording test steps for using controls in a KendoUI grid. My testing is attempting to capture the use of grid controls to sort/filter data and add or remove columns. I have had success in recording these tests but found that a large amount of rework was required to ensure the tests were able to correctly identify the recorded objects. Over the duration of this process I have found the TestComplete performance has degraded. When recording test steps the TC gives all indications that it is recording user interaction however, when the recording is finished, the test steps have the following issues:

1. They have either been duplicated or not recorded at all;
  2. The objects captured are not found when attempting playback;

This leads me to the second half of my issue. When trying to fix the recording issues, TestComplete hangs and becomes unresponsive when attempting the following actions:

• Using the Object Spy to identify a recorded object;
  • Trying to open the object in the Object Browser;
  • Using the On-Screen Action dialogue to Point and fix an object on the screen;

I have raised a support request to have the SmartBear Techs have a look at the issue but was wondering if anyone else had run into a similar issue?

I am using the latest version of TC (15.48) on a WIN10 PC 64bit with MS Edge browser. 

3 Replies

brumazz
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Warren, 

Have you had a chance to update to the newest version of TestComplete to see if you are still having these issues?  My only other suggestion based on your statements about steps not getting recorded, does your machine meet the system requirements?   Also, are you running many other applications during the test creation?

warrenw39
    Occasional Contributor

Hi brumazz,

I have updated to 15.52.2.7 and Edge browser v114 and I am still experiencing intermittent issues. My PC is very capable of running TC and it is only used to run TC and the Edge browser for testing purposes. I am still working through these issues and trying to analyse when/why they might be occurring. Most the time I just shut down TestComplete and fire it up again to keep going. 

brumazz
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Warren, 

I would suggest trying to run a Repair of TestComplete.  That is the only other thing I could imagine before suggesting you open a support case.