Forum Discussion

hhowe
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

TestComplete editor-turn off insert pair (aka automatically close) quotes and brackets

Not a huge issue, but still a regular irritation. As I get back into TestComplete after a couple of years away, I find a "feature" of the editor that is new to me, and that I find quite frustrating. I don't find an option to disable this, nor have my Help, Community, or web searches revealed anything to me.

The issue is the code editor's automatically closing of single and double quotes, as well as square brackets and parentheses. The vast majority of the time, I end up removing the automatically inserted closing quote/bracket/parenthesis. It is slowing down my coding and adding to my frustration. Is there a way to disable this completely?

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

This was a new feature added to TC 12.30.  Actually, I kind of like it.  It takes some getting used to because you need to adjust to no longer needing to add your own close pairs.  A lot of development IDE's (like NetBeans, Borland Delphi, Visual Studio) have had something like this for a long time.  But honestly, I've found it helpful because it makes sure that I ALWAYS have a close, even if I need to move it.

At the moment, I don't think there is an option to turn this off.  See the following documentation for other improvements.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/general-info/whats-new.html#usability-and-ui-improvements

hhowe
      Occasional Contributor

I have seen this feature in other editors, with often the option to shut it off. A part of my irritation would certainly be addressed by my embracing it. However, whenever I'm adding a quote or bracket immediately preceding existing text, I virtually never want the closing portion inserted. That could be an improvement to this feature, but honestly, I'd just prefer the option to shut it off completely. I do not want it. SmartBear, are you listening? :-)

MulgraveTester
        Frequent Contributor

AAARGH! WHO THOUGHT IT WAS CLEVER TO ADD THIS "FEATURE"

I am a long term user of TestComplete and have just upgraded to TC 12.

Not only are the close quotes and brackets irritating but TESTCOMPLETE CRASHED because it auto inserted a close bracket into a line of VBScript that was split over several lines.

I HAVE LOST WORK BECAUSE OF THIS "FEATURE"

GET RID OF IT OR LET ME TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!