Forum Discussion

jesseejames
Occasional Contributor
11 months ago

TestComplete Commandline with multiple variables

What's the best way to pass multiple variables in Powershell to run TestComplete commandline

$myVariables is a array list which has multiple variables like "XXX=123", "YYY=345", "ZZZ=567"
So I assumed if you need multiple variables in command line, you just add multiple "/pv:xxx=123"

Start-Process 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 15\Bin\TestComplete.exe' -ArgumentList """$TestCompleteFilePath"" /project:""$myTestProjectName"" /test:""$myTestName"" /pv:""$myVariables[0]"" /pv:""$myVariables[1]"" /pv:""$myVariables[2]"" /run "  -Wait

6 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

For example,

$TestCompleteFilePath = "C:\Temp"
    $myTestProjectName = "SmartBear"
    $myTestName = "Hello World"
    $myVariables = @('One', 'Two', 'Three')

Write-Host 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 15\Bin\TestComplete.exe' -ArgumentList """$TestCompleteFilePath"" /project:""$myTestProjectName"" /test:""$myTestName"" /pv:"$myVariables[0]" /pv:"$myVariables[1]" /pv:"$myVariables[2]" /run " -Wait

Will output,

PS C:\Users\SmartBear> C:\Temp\Untitled1.ps1
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 15\Bin\TestComplete.exe -ArgumentList "C:\Temp" /project:"SmartBear" /test:"Hello World" /pv: One  /pv: Two  /pv: Three  /run  -Wait

When using PowerShell, you need to ensure that your variables are quoted correctly, using either single or double quotes

jesseejames
    Occasional Contributor

Thanks I found out the solution

$arrayList = New-Object System.Collections.ArrayList

Here's how you use the array in command

/pv:$($arrayList[0]) /pv:$($arrayList[1])
      jesseejames
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the feedback, I have tried your version, but not working, so I have to twist a little bit to make it work.

Why the powershell doesn't like the double quotes? I don't know, it just fails to read the value of variables. but hey at least finally I make it works now yay! 

Start-Process 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 15\Bin\TestComplete.exe' -ArgumentList """$TestCompleteFilePath"" /project:""$myTestProjectName"" /test:""$myTestName"" /pv:$($arrayList[0]) /pv:$($arrayList[1]) /run "  -Wait
    rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

What is not working? I've shown an example using arrays, and the output!