Forum Discussion

jon_acock
New Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Silverlight in IE11 - setting up tcagpatcher utility

Hi guys,

I have been trying to use testcomplete 10 with a silver light application. I found the document on how to make the app 'open' to expose the contents of the Silverlight app. This document talks about 'preparing' the app for testing using the tcAgPatcher utility.

I have tried running this exe, but it just returns an error.'Invalid number of parameters in the command line...'.

The document does not really explain to me what is meant by 'prepare'.

Can someone explain to me what steps I need to take to make this work with testcomplete?

Cheers,

Jon

• Hi Jon,

tcAgPatcher has the following command-line syntax:

tcAgPatcher.exe <xapfile>

Refer to the "Preparing In-Browser Silverlight Applications for Testing" article - it contains a detailed description of how to patch the application.

BTW, TestComplete can recognize most of the Silverlight applications by default (without additional steps). However, there are some requirements that must be met to automatically make the tested Silverlight application Open to TestComplete:

- The application must run in Internet Explorer. TestComplete cannot automatically get access to the internals of Silverlight applications running in web browsers based on the Microsoft WebBrowser control. 

- The application’s wrapper web page must directly load the application package file (.xap) from a web server. If the .xap file, in which the tested Silverlight application is implemented, is cached by the web browser and the wrapper page loads a copy of the file from the browser cache, TestComplete cannot automatically make the application testable. So, we recommend that you clear the browser cache before testing.

- The application’s wrapper web page must be loaded via the HTTP protocol. The application does not automatically become testable with TestComplete if the HTTPS connection is used.

2 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Jon,

tcAgPatcher has the following command-line syntax:

tcAgPatcher.exe <xapfile>

Refer to the "Preparing In-Browser Silverlight Applications for Testing" article - it contains a detailed description of how to patch the application.

BTW, TestComplete can recognize most of the Silverlight applications by default (without additional steps). However, there are some requirements that must be met to automatically make the tested Silverlight application Open to TestComplete:

- The application must run in Internet Explorer. TestComplete cannot automatically get access to the internals of Silverlight applications running in web browsers based on the Microsoft WebBrowser control. 

- The application’s wrapper web page must directly load the application package file (.xap) from a web server. If the .xap file, in which the tested Silverlight application is implemented, is cached by the web browser and the wrapper page loads a copy of the file from the browser cache, TestComplete cannot automatically make the application testable. So, we recommend that you clear the browser cache before testing.

- The application’s wrapper web page must be loaded via the HTTP protocol. The application does not automatically become testable with TestComplete if the HTTPS connection is used.