Forum Discussion

RichardPla
Occasional Contributor
9 months ago
Solved

RunOptions property

I start a new instance of Chrome to run my test cases. First I specify the RunOptions (command line for Chrome) and then start the browser. Here is the code I am using:

Browsers.Item("chrome").RunOptions = '--aggressive-cache-discard';
Browsers.Item("chrome").RunOptions = '--disable-cache';
Browsers.Item("chrome").RunOptions = '--disable-application-cache';
Browsers.Item("chrome").RunOptions = '--incognito';

Sys.Browser("chrome").BrowserWindow(0).Keys("^n");

NOTE: I have tried to do the same using PowerShell in conjunction with WshShell, but the Browser object that is created that way is useless.

I know that you you ask to execute Browsers.Item("chrome").Run(); after the options have been specified, but that works only if there are no browser instances running, which obviously is not what I want.

Q: can you tell me please, if there is a way launch a new instance of Chrome (or Chromium based Edge), while there are already other instances of that browser running, with the command line options that I need?

• Are you trying to run your tests in one browser with all those options set or in separate browsers with one option in each?

• Using the following parameter --user-data-dir

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.3208]
    (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=C:\Temp\User1

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=C:\Temp\User2

Will launch "two instances" of Chrome

2 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Using the following parameter --user-data-dir

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.3208]
    (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=C:\Temp\User1

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=C:\Temp\User2

Will launch "two instances" of Chrome

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Are you trying to run your tests in one browser with all those options set or in separate browsers with one option in each?