Forum Discussion

Colin_McCrae
Community Hero
10 years ago
Solved

Request: Show object in name map using object spy

The name mapping in TC is not one of my favourite areas I must admit. Although I do like the use of Aliases to reduce the complexity of the object references.

Anyway. Can I request an additional feature to the object spy?

When you are in your Aliases, you can right click and "Find Mapped Object" which shows you where something sits in the full object tree map.

Can something be added to the object spy to give similar functionality?

So spy an object on screen and if already mapped, give the option to show/goto it in the name map tree and/or alias tree? (QTPro has this and it's very useful)

I find the object mapping can be a bit klunky sometimes. I'm using it just now and it sometimes doesn't put child object where I expect them when I map them. When it does this it can be hard to work out where it actually has put it as it doesn't highlight the new object or anything once inserted. I usually try and map it again to get it to tell me where it is when the new mapping fails.

A bit more in the way of navigation aids between screen/object spy/name maps/alias maps would be really helpful.

Thanks.

(Unless there is something like this in there already and I've simply missed it ....)
  • Hi Colin,

As a rule, from the Object Spy, you can get access to the Name Mapping editor by using the approach suggested by Joe, or by switching to the Object Browser and navigating to Name Mapping from it.

As you don't have the Mapped Name property filled in, it means that TestComplete couldn't identify that this object had been mapped. As a result, the product cannot show it in the Name Mapping editor. I suggest that you try troubleshooting to know why TestComplete doesn't identify the object as the mapped one. Perhaps, some properties of this object or its parent were changed.

20 Replies

• Yes on all counts!

Using name map/alias version of the object:

Highlight on screen = OK.

Right click and show in Object Browser = takes me to the same object.

MappedName property is still blank.

Link back to name map is not present.

So they are both finding the same object correctly. And the link works from name map to object browser. But the link from object browser back to name map, and the "MappedName" propertly don't work.

No idea why .... ?
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hm-m... No other ideas at the moment except raising of support case. Maybe guys will consider some remote session with you and will be able to figure out the root of the problem...
  • It *could* be that I'm being too clever with my mapping properties, but I would hope not. If they are good enough to locate on screen, I would expect them to be good enough to maintain the link between name map and object browser?

I don't know.

I can live with it. It doesn't actually cause any failures. But it is making maintaining a large, and still growing, name map of a website more difficult to manage than it should be.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Colin,

Can you show a video demonstrating what is going on? BTW, is the MappedName property still blank in the Object Browser?

To record a video, you can use Jing - a free screen capture tool ( http://www.jingproject.com ).

• MappedName property seems to be blank everywhere. Name map, Alias, Object Browser, Object Spy .... all blank. For all objects, mapped or not.

I'll try and upload a video at some point. But not until tomorrow at least. I'm remoting in from home today which limits what I can do on my work PC slightly. But I'll see what I can do once I'm back in the office tomorrow. Screen captures of the same object in several different views might end up being easier.
    TanyaYatskovska
    Thanks, Colin.

BTW, are you planning to update to TestComplete 10.30? It makes sense to check if this behavior is reproduced on the latest product version.

• I will at some point.

But not right now. I had a look at the whats new and there is nothing in there that affects what I'm working on right now.

And I'd need to change all my plugin settings. Again  .... ;)
  • I'm having the same problem as described by Colin.  I'm using TC V10.20.953.7

I.e.:

-The MappedName property is blank.  There are no ellipses in that field to take  the user to the NameMapping Editor.

-From the ObjectBrowser, Rt-Clicking on the object and selecting: ShowObjectInNameMappingEditor

Results in error:  Unable to show this object in the Name Mapping editor, because it is not mapped or it is mapped incorrectly.

-Rt-Clicking on the object, and selecting 'Highlight On Screen' works OK from

both the NameMapping editor and the ObjectBrowser

TanyaYatskovska
    Hi Joel,

Judging by your screenshot, TestComplete fails to find the Aliases.Browser.pag_Booking.Panel(5) object as the mapped one. Check how the panel is mapped in the Name Mapping editor. Perhaps, you use the Index property to map the panel, but its index was changed.

philyoung99
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue on Test Complete 11.31.2420.7

I am sharing a project with one other person:

The person I am sharing with is able to map application forms that I cannot, when he uses the "Map Object from Screen" option, he sees the usual "Map Object" dialogue prompt

When he clicks ok he sees the dialogue prompt to "Map the window ("someObject") object with two options:
      -> "Map the object as ..."
      or

-> "Choose name and properties manually"

When I try the same I do not see the dialogue prompt to "Map the window ("someObject") " and control is returned back to the main testcomplete application window

This implies it's a user based setting/issue, rather than a mapping issue itself?

We are using the same project and same application, trying to map the same form

Both our properties in the TCNet file are set as
      <Prp name="network mode answer" type="B" value="1"/>
          <Prp name="network mode value" type="B" value="0"/>

We also see a project element to this problem - the recent backup of our current project will work for me and allow me to map - this implies I have a user and a project problem potentially in that case?