Forum Discussion

QAConsultant
Contributor
14 years ago

Remapping lots of objects question

Hi,

In my AUT's current build, 90% of the tests I've created from previous builds do not work.

There's so many object not found issues it's hard to know if any of the previous mapping is still intact.

I'm wondering if it's easier to just re-record all the tests at this point. This will probably happen in the future again if so.

Thanks,

Dan

3 Replies

• Hi Dan,

In most cases, the issues you face can be caused by the modifications in your application. Sometimes, you can avoid this problems beforehand, by creating  stable and strong mapping criteria.

However, a way to work around this kind of problems depends on the way your application changes from one build to another. If the changes in your application are associated with changes of objects' names, you can use the Name Mapping feature to give special mapped names to objects. However, when Name Mapping is used, you need to map not only the needed object, but also all of its parent objects. So, if there are some changes in the object hierarchy, Name Mapping cannot avoid the objects availability problem.

In this case, you can use another feature - Aliases. Objects mapped with the Aliases feature are available by their independent mapped names. Please see the Name Mapping - Overview article for more information.

Also, in TestComplete 8, there are several improvements in Name Mapping mechanisms. For example, using conditional mapping criteria allows you to create much more flexible Name Mapping schemes. See the Using Conditional Mapping Criteria article for details.

BTW, this screencast can be very helpful in learning the ways to create reliable mappings.

Unfortunately, if the tested application's behavior changes, you will have to rewrite your tests.