Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Registration is VM Situation

Hi

When we take a snapshot of a machine that has Testcomplete and Testexecute installed and deploy that package to another VM, that VM still requires us to register Testcomplete and Testexecute. Is there a settings or a registry key that we are missing that the Snapshot software(Norton Ghost) is failing to capture? We want to be able to make sure that when we take a snapshot of a machine that is registered for Test complete and test execute and deploy that snapshot to another VM, that VM should also be registered. Any help or advise is much appreciated in this topic.

thanks

Syed

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Syed,

I am afraid that you will not get direct answer to your question as it is security- and licensing related.

However, AFAIK, it is better to backup/restore/clone virtual machines by using the internal means of the VM manager rather than by using physical systems-oriented software.

BTW, what version of TestComplete/TestExecute you are talking about?
    AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Syed,

I guess, you are using a TestComplete trial version (Node-Locked) activated on a virtual machine, right?

I think, this is the specifics the Sentinel HASP licensing modules' functioning (TestComplete's licensing subsystem uses them). When you activate a license on a virtual machine, the license "binds" to certain characteristics on the physical machine, on which this VM is running. If you move a VM snapshot to another machine, these characteristics change, and the licensing modules "think" that you don't have the license. This is how Sentinel HASP works. This situation is similar to what happens when you activate a trial license on a cloud computer (see more here: http://smartbear.com/products/qa-tools/automated-testing/how-to-activate-trial-licenses/#Cloud).

A possible solution is not to move the VM snapshots, but as far as I understand, this doesn't suit your needs. I'd suggest that you contact the Support Team and ask them for a solution. If you have a commercial version, please specify your customer ID.

• Hi Alex

Thank you for your reply. We are not using the trial version. We are using licensed version of Tescomplete and Testexecute 6. The VM's are hosting off a  Server. They are not hosting off our physical desktop computers. Do you know how we can set up the VM's with TE or TC so that when we take a snapshot of that VM and deploy to another VM, the License stays the same? Look forward to hearing back from you soon.

thanks

syed
    AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Syed,

TestComplete 6 had other licensing subsystem than TestComplete 8 uses now. As far as I know, it should work fine on virtual machines. I'd suggest that you contact Support Team and describe the situation to them. They will make investigations and offer some solution.