Forum Discussion

audai
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Read an Excel file

I want to read an Excel file with multiple columns and one of the columns have multiple data, some String and other Integer like  in attachment in column filterValue.

As you see in the file I have 4 values of type integer and one of type string, but when I read the string one it couldn't read it why?????

trCol = aqConvert.VarToStr(DDT.CurrentDriver.Value(0));                

strValue = aqConvert.VarToStr(DDT.CurrentDriver.Value(4));                      

colName = aqConvert.VarToStr(DDT.CurrentDriver.Value(2));

op = aqConvert.VarToStr(DDT.CurrentDriver.Value(3));

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

To figure out what's wrong, we'll need to look into your Excel file and your entire script. Could you please attach them here? On which line does the error occur and what's the exact error text?

Also, what TestComplete and Excel versions are you using?
    audai
    Occasional Contributor
    I am using Test Complete 9. In line two, 

strValue = aqConvert.VarToStr(DDT.CurrentDriver.Value(2);

when I read the value of column 2, it return all values except the string one "wtih". The strValue will be empty.
    HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    You seem to have a mixed data reading issue described in the following Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257819

As stated previously, ADO must guess at the data type for each column in your Excel worksheet or range. (This is not affected by Excel cell formatting settings.) A serious problem can arise if you have numeric values mixed with text values in the same column. Both the Jet and the ODBC Provider return the data of the majority type, but return NULL (empty) values for the minority data type. If the two types are equally mixed in the column, the provider chooses numeric over text.

For example:

* In your eight (8) scanned rows, if the column contains five (5) numeric values and three (3) text values, the provider returns five (5) numbers and three (3) null values.

* In your eight (8) scanned rows, if the column contains three (3) numeric values and five (5) text values, the provider returns three (3) null values and five (5) text values.

* In your eight (8) scanned rows, if the column contains four (4) numeric values and four (4) text values, the provider returns four (4) numbers and four (4) null values.

To avoid the problem, you need to store numbers in the filterValue column as text. To do this, prefix the numbers with an apostrophe ( ' ), e.g. '1.

Please also see the following thread for details:

Excel column returns null for non-numeric characters