Forum Discussion

Marsha_R
Champion Level 3
8 years ago
Solved

Pros and cons of using Shared mode

We're not using it right now, but I'm afraid we'd just be changing one set of problems for another.  Any recommendations for or against?
    tristaanogre
    8 years ago

AlexKaras wrote:

But I still very like the possibility to have test project to be located on some shared resource (share) and be used from there from different test machines when running smoke/coverage/etc. tests.

This above statement I see as a) the primary reason for shared mode and b) a clear description of its best use/practice.  Shared mode should be viewed as sharing between workstations, NOT sharing between users. 

I've used this in the past like this:

1) Stored my current code/test projects on a shared network hard drive

2) Opened a copy of TestComplete on my local machine

3) Opened that shared project and selected shared mode

4) Made changes to code

5) Opened a connection to a Virtual Machine

6) Run TestExecute on that virtual machine

7) Opened the shared project in TestExecute and selected shared mode

8) Start a test run on the virtual machine

9) Continue developing while the test project is running

10) When test run is complete, I can view the log results on my local machine

11) Debug code/test errors on local machine

12) Rerun test on virtual machine without needing to employ source control processes

13) When code/run/debug cycle is finished, check updated source into source control

If I throw another developer in to use the same shared directory, the steps 4 through 9 get messy... even the test runs get messy because I have no control over what the code is that's being run... code changes may be implemented that I did not intend and, therefore, "blow things up".  That's what code control repositories are for....  How do I know? Because we attempted shared mode to get around using a code repository and it was an unmitigated disaster.